Backspace to go to previous website

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Backspace to go to previous website

Post by Odin2 »

Rather than click the back arrow my preference to bring up the previous site is to press the backspace key. But with my current Win10 computer that often doesn't work. When it doesn't, I press alt+left, which does the trick. Is there a way to get backspace to work all the time for this purpose? Or perhaps is this not a browser issue but an issue with Win10, or maybe with my particular computer?
dickvl

Re: Backspace to go to previous website

Post by dickvl »

The pref that enables the backspace action has been changed in Firefox 87.

See the "Changed" section in the Firefox 87.0 Release notes.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8 ... easenotes/

To prevent user data loss when filling out forms, we’ve disabled the Backspace key as a navigation shortcut for the back navigation button. To re-enable the Backspace keyboard shortcut, you can change the about:config preference browser.backspace_action to 0.
bug 1041377 - Disable Backspace as a shortcut for navigating back in history

We've removed items from the Library menu that weren't used often or have other access points in the browser: Synced tabs, Recent highlights, and Pocket list.
bug 1689405 - Do initial simplification of the Library menu

We've simplified the Help menu by reducing redundant items, such as those that point to Firefox support pages that can also be accessed via the Get Help item.
bug 1689632 - Simplify Help menu

More changes:
bug 1678748 - (proton-hamburger-menu) [meta] Proton - App Menu work
Odin2

Re: Backspace to go to previous website

Post by Odin2 »

Many thanks, dickvl! I would never have guessed this was a Mozilla "improvement" (which fortunately seems to be reversible). I obviously need to take more care to review release changes.