Can not log into certain sites ...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LBiggles

Can not log into certain sites ...

Post by LBiggles »

... end up in a loop of asking to logged in.
This has been going on since around V80, now adding more si6tes that I have to use Opera to get into.
ie., spectrum.net, directv.com/att.com.
Asks for login info and circles back and asks for it again with not explanation. Enter through Opera and get right in. I've even thought Lastpass screwed up the password and reset them - no joy.
I've restarted in Safe Mode with no improvement.
Ideas?
Win 7 / Win 10
Firefox V92, 94 or higher - depending on the problem, all x64,
DanRaisch

Re: Can not log into certain sites ...

Post by DanRaisch »

Try clearing the browser cache and deleting all cookies relating to the problem sites. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cl ... cale=en-US
LBiggles

Post by LBiggles »

DanRaisch wrote:Try clearing the browser cache and deleting all cookies relating to the problem sites. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cl ... cale=en-US
That would have been the first thing I tried.
Didn't work then or now.
Win 7 / Win 10
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Do you have any restrictive cookie or storage settings?
LBiggles

Post by LBiggles »

jscher2000 wrote:Do you have any restrictive cookie or storage settings?
Nothing, this has been happening off and on for the last 4-5 months I think.
After a lot of searching I found https://community.spectrum.net/discussi ... t-on-my-pc.
Private Tab/Browsing does work on both sites I just do not understand why.
Win 7 / Win 10
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Differences between regular windows and private windows:

(1) Cached files from regular windows are not re-used in private windows.

You could clear the web cache and see whether that helps in the regular windows: How to clear the Firefox cache (just web cache, not all site data). If you have a large hard drive, this might take a few minutes.

(2) Cookies set in regular windows are not re-used in private windows.

To remove a site's cookies, while viewing a page on the site in a regular window, click the lock icon at the left end of the address bar. After a moment, a "Clear Cookies and Site Data" button should appear at the bottom. Go ahead and click that. In the dialog that opens, you will see one or more matches to the current address so you can remove the site's cookies individually without affecting other sites.

(3) Some extensions might be disabled in private windows.

When you are viewing your extensions on the Add-ons page, the ones without the purple mask icon do not run in private windows. More info in this article: Extensions in Private Browsing. That might point toward an extension interfering with the site in regular windows. But the intermittent nature of the problem -- sometimes it works fine -- makes me think this is less likely.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that it is possible that there is a problem with cookies.sqlite in the Firefox profile folder, so you can try to rename his file to test this.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data
Heretic86

Post by Heretic86 »

Have you tried disabling "Enhanced Tracking Protection" on those specific sites?

Trackers and Advertisers try to use a lot of methods to track people across different websites across the web, and Firefox has been pretty much the only major browser that has tried to protect people against that. This means that certain settings that are now default may cause cookies from certain websites to be blocked, but those behaviors can be overridden.

To look at your "Enhanced Tracking Protection" up in the Address Bar, there may be a Badge to the left of the URL. A small blue shield icon. Click that while looking at those websites you can't log into and see if it is allowing any cookies to be placed. Even session cookies are fine.