Cannot open older "Firefox HTML Document" files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
oklahomadanny

Cannot open older "Firefox HTML Document" files

Post by oklahomadanny »

I can no longer open older "Firefox HTML Document" files on my computer. I used to be able to simply click/double click the Firefox HTML Document icon and it would open in Firefox. I have saved/archived web pages as late as June 2020 which I can no longer open. I used this feature to save countless pages of my eBay purchases which I could easily open by clicking the Firefox icon. With the countless updates Firefox pushes out this once simple task to open my Firefox HTML Documents has disappeared. :x Can someone tell me how to open these files?
This is the reason I HATE the constant Firefox updates. Something breaks in a new version and I have no idea how to fix it. I'm running Win7 64 bit on my computer if that matters.
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot open older "Firefox HTML Document" files

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

Are you sure that it is “Firefox HTML Documents “ that you were working with and not “Firefox HTM” files? See this article — https://support.mozilla.org/si/questions/1259285g
oklahomadanny

Post by oklahomadanny »

My computer file lists "Type" as "Firefox HTML Document".
Also your link comes up as "Page Not Found". As I said above anytime I update it seems to break something. Thank you.
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Saved HTML and HTM files on my PC open fine in Firefox 88. I have just tried an HTM file from 2010 and it opened in a new tab without any problems at all.

Are you sure this is not a Windows association problem and not a FF issue?
costark

Post by costark »

I just went through -- PDF files won't open -- via Foxit, Adobe, etc. and Discovered a Banner stating FF was blocking 2 somethings.
When I OK'd them the PDFs opened.
Look closely all over the page for any type popup.
PayPal fails for me UNLESS I find the Allow Cookies popup and OK Cookies.
With all of the Security settings + Addons it's no longer a Cllk and Open world it seems.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry about that link. Here's the correct one -- https://support.mozilla.org/si/questions/1259285
oklahomadanny

Post by oklahomadanny »

Went snooping around in the Firefox 'options' and found the problem. It appears that I had 2 failed updates that I didn't know about. I apparently downloaded the updates without re-starting Firefox I guess. I updated to the newest v.88.0.1 and restated Firefox and can now open those files. It was very very slow in closing the 13 Firefox processes (is this normal?) shown in Windows Task manager before finally re-starting Firefox.
Thanks to all for your help.