Firefox 89 Moves My Tabs To The Bottom - HELP!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lunar

Re: Firefox 89 Moves My Tabs To The Bottom - HELP!

Post by Lunar »

dickvl, thanks.
the snowflakes rarely make things better (firefox, kde, plex, etc), they just seem to want to mess with the ui ostensibly making it 'prettier' (like a shiny new 'smartphone'.
I have so many changes in my userChrome I got tired of trying and came to you.. Done.
Changed bottom: 0 ....
to: top: 30px !important;
works good enough for the moment.
active tab is excessively large and extends up, onto the address-bar.
will mess with in a while.

Thanks Again!
Landis.
'Microsucks' made me nuts, Linux is making me crazy...
...at least with Linux, I can afford the therapy.. : )
openSuSE | KDE | enlightenment | mozilla Aurora 55 / Nightly 106 Konqueror /Opera/ Aurora Dev Ed | Now, down to Firefox 45 52 ESR as the 'new' direction... sxxxs!
arturox

Post by arturox »

Bigbunny and userChrome.css.
I'm on Win 10.

Have you also done the "About:config setting?

To use a userChrome.css file, a setting in... About:config needs to be set...

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets set True.

Arturox
kukla

Post by kukla »

bigbunny wrote:I created a 'chrome' folder and put the CSS code into it ... and it's done bugger all.

NOTHING.

I've tried 5 different versions of CSS code.

Any advice?

Any Mac users?

Thanks.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but you can't just drop a .css code anywhere into a Chrome folder. It needs to go into a userChrome.css inside Chrome. See screenshot, but ignore most of the other items there. You can create that using TextEdit. Create it first as userChrome.rtf, save it, then remove the .rtf extension and add .css. Then place it in the Chrome folder.

EDIT: as already noted, "Firefox 69 does not load userChrome.css or userContent.css anymore. To change this, enable the option toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets in about:config. Here is how it can be done."

https://winaero.com/enable-loading-user ... s-firefox/

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzh00gBH/Screen-Sh ... -05-PM.png
TheOnlyDocc

Post by TheOnlyDocc »

Here are so many code optios that i really do not know what i need.
I would like my tabs to be at the top but below the address bar; and second, I'd like a status bar at the bottom that shows addresses when you hover over a link.
The bookmarks were hidden in my old firefox design.
Hope someone can help me out to find the right code.
At the moment Firefox is really not usable, especially when i have 20+ tabs open.
bmaz121

Post by bmaz121 »

Wonder how many people who use CSS code are pissed. There is definitely a problem with placement of the two bars. I had mine set up for the Multi Row bookmarks Bar under the URL Bar and then had the tab bar under that. We have been getting fixes, but it's difficult and time-consuming to put the code for the two bars together. This discussion sounds the best so far that I have read. If I run my code for each bar alone in userchrome.css the code works great except for the scroll bar in Multi Row bookmarks is missing.
The problem with estimating the number of px for the height of the tab bar is that the Multi Row would adjust by the number of lines input in the CSS code would throw off the other bar's location. That is failing unless that code is the only code. So, perhaps knowing all that it would help to figure out what 89 is doing in that area and what changed from 88 to 89, so we can code for it. I'm not a coder, so I don't know what to do.
Diablovia

Post by Diablovia »

Hi,
My firefox just updated without my permission and now everything is a mess.
I tried your tips, and it kinda works. At least my tabs are on the bottom now, but when I do that my 'minimise', 'close' and the last button (dunno what its called), move to the left and below the tab bar and dont stay on the top right.
Does anyone know how to fix that?
I really have no idea about any of this and just try to follow any tips that I find.
Thank you!
fireshadow

Post by fireshadow »

dickvl wrote:Try this code for the full "TABS on bottom" section:

Code: Select all

/* TABS: on bottom - 89+ */

*|*:root {
 --tab-toolbar-navbar-overlap: 0px !important;

--tab-min-height:      32px !important; /* adjust to suit your needs */
 --tab-min-width:       80px !important; /* adjust to suit your needs */

--menubar-height: 34px;
 --navbar-height: 32px;
 --bookmarkbar-height: 32px;
 --tabbar-top: calc(var(--menubar-height) + var(--bookmarkbar-height) + var(--navbar-height) + 9px); /*89+*/
}

#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#navigator-toolbox #TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}

#navigator-toolbox #TabsToolbar {
 display: block !important;
 position: absolute !important;
 top: var(--tabbar-top) !important;
 width: 100vw !important;
 z-index:1 !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {
width: 100vw !important;
}

/* navigator-toolbox - padding */
*|*:root:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {
  padding-bottom: calc(var(--tab-min-height) + 1px) !important; /*adjust*/
}

/* TABS: height */
#tabbrowser-tabs,
#tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab {
  min-height: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
  max-height: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
}

#TabsToolbar {
  height: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
  margin-bottom: 1px !important;
  box-shadow: ThreeDShadow 0 -1px inset, -moz-dialog 0 1px !important; /* optional */
  background-color: var(--toolbar-bgcolor) !important;
  color: var(--toolbar-color) !important;
}

/* drag space */
.titlebar-spacer[type="pre-tabs"],
.titlebar-spacer[type="post-tabs"] {
  width: 40px;
}

/* Override vertical shifts when moving a tab */
#navigator-toolbox[movingtab] > #titlebar > #TabsToolbar {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
}
#navigator-toolbox[movingtab] #tabbrowser-tabs {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
  margin-bottom: unset !important;
}
#navigator-toolbox[movingtab] > #nav-bar {
  margin-top: unset !important;
}

/* hide indicators and caption buttons */
#TabsToolbar .private-browsing-indicator   {display: none !important;}
#TabsToolbar .accessibility-indicator      {display: none !important;}
#TabsToolbar .titlebar-buttonbox-container {display: none !important;}
#TabsToolbar #window-controls {display: none !important;}
Much better than the default - thank you!

Is there a way to modify it so it goes Menu Bar - Address Bar - Tabs - Bookmark Bar?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Moving the Tab to a position between the Navigation Toolbar and the Bookmarks Toolbar shouldn't be that difficult.
You can place the Tab in any position by modifying the --tabbar-top variable (possibly set "--bookmarkbar-height: 0px" and modify the "+ 9px" fine adjustment).

You can give the PersonalToolbar a "margin-top" rule to move it down and reserve space for the Tab bar.

Code: Select all

#PersonalToolbar {margin-top: 16px !important;}
Easiest to test this is by using the Browser Toolbox
flynlr

Post by flynlr »

pretty much done upgrading FF for any reason until they have a built in UI option to have the Tabs below the bookmarks toolbar.
I am tired of having to mess with CSS everytime FF wants a prettier UI.
so glad I checked the whats new before allowing the update the UI change made me google and thus find this thread.

hey FireFox u need a firefix for this.,
za!

Post by za! »

until they have a built in UI option to have the Tabs below the bookmarks toolbar.
For now, I'm happy using Waterfox, where that option sits quite near to the top of the "General" section of the preferences.
Based on Gecko 78.12.0
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

flynlr wrote:pretty much done upgrading FF for any reason until they have a built in UI option to have the Tabs below the bookmarks toolbar.
I am tired of having to mess with CSS everytime FF wants a prettier UI.
so glad I checked the whats new before allowing the update the UI change made me google and thus find this thread.

hey FireFox u need a firefix for this.,
Like you I always checked to see what's new, and also here to see if there are any reported problems, prior to applying any Firefox update.

I had a look at Waterfox, but given that FF88 works (and looks) fine for me I plan to stick with what I've got now.
DaggerDX

Post by DaggerDX »

I seem to have the same problem as everyone who has posted on this thread. I am no coder in anyway and I have copied and pasted into my userChrome.css file pretty much every batch of code listed in this thread after closing FF, then opened FF again, and by Tabs bars still remains above my Address Bar; quite frustrating to be honest. I am truly at a lose on what I should do now; I don't know what batch of code to use and within that code, what number(s) to alter to if I need to. I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance to resolve this matter. Thank you in advance.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

ArniVidar

Post by ArniVidar »

DaggerDX wrote:I am no coder in anyway and I have copied and pasted into my userChrome.css file pretty much every batch of code listed in this thread after closing FF, then opened FF again, and by Tabs bars still remains above my Address Bar
Have you tried making it so that code you're pasting into userChrome is the *only* thing in there? And going back to the userChrome basics in general, have you enabled FF's use of the userChrome file?
DaggerDX

Post by DaggerDX »

ArniVidar wrote:
DaggerDX wrote:I am no coder in anyway and I have copied and pasted into my userChrome.css file pretty much every batch of code listed in this thread after closing FF, then opened FF again, and by Tabs bars still remains above my Address Bar
Have you tried making it so that code you're pasting into userChrome is the *only* thing in there? And going back to the userChrome basics in general, have you enabled FF's use of the userChrome file?

Yes ArniVidar, when I tried each batch of code, I deleted any code in my userChrome.css file, pasted the new, and saved; I am not combining batches of code.