What genius decided to double space all menus?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tnffuser

What genius decided to double space all menus?

Post by tnffuser »

Why did Mozilla double space menus?
Is this an error and 89 was rolled out too soon and will be corrected.
Richard1296

Re: What genius decided to double space all menus?

Post by Richard1296 »

Amazing how someone can always find a way to break something that wasn't broken.
Need to solv this real soo or it' s goodbye FF...

Richard
tattersford

Post by tattersford »

This restores a large degree of sanity...

https://github.com/black7375/Firefox-UI-Fix
Richard1296

Post by Richard1296 »

And what part of this do I use to remove the double spacing

Richard
morat

Post by morat »

See the "Menu - Reduce Padding" section.

userChrome.css by black7375
http://raw.githubusercontent.com/black7 ... Chrome.css

There a browser.compactmode.show pref that shows the Compact mode in the Customize Firefox tab.

Mozilla decides to hide Compact Mode
http://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/07/mozill ... ting-ones/
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

If you only want a fragment of code to tighten up menus, I have a couple lines here:

https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-s ... enuspacing

That goes into a userChrome.css file:

https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-u ... e-css.html
morat

Post by morat »

There are a few browser.proton.* prefs that partially disable the proton theme.

* browser.proton.enabled
* browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled
Last edited by morat on June 1st, 2021, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard1296

Post by Richard1296 »

Thanks jscher
Now... any way to alter the pale white background color in these menu's.
Just a slight change to a light grey.

Richard1296
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

morat wrote:There are a few browser.proton.* prefs that partially disable the proton theme.

* browser.proton.enabled
Many thanks for posting this. I called up about:config, and changed both to false. Now all the menus are, once again, single spaced--I can see all my bookmarks at a glance--and that annoying new tab box (with rounded corners) is gone.

OF
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Why the push towards making everything feel fat and mashmallowy. On a touch device sure, but not standard desktop uses, and it's particularly aggravating on a laptop where space is even more of a concern. Thank goodness Firefox has such a great deal of customization or I'd have to move to something else.

I think the new theme is fine, my big gripe is the fat spacing on all the menus and such. Who decides these things? Plus they are wanting to phase out compact mode... geeze.

If I wanted bloated fat menus I'd use Edge. I'm glad Chrome hasn't succumbed to this design approach yet.

I just don't get how a browser that is trying to cater to a niche audience can be so deaf to what people want. There was a big thread on ghacks about this in April, they had plenty of time to adjust for it and didn't do a dang thing.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Just updated to FF 89.0 64-bit -and I am not seeing this double-spacing issue at all. I also tried it in Safe Mode to see if the problem would be generated in that -- result, no issue. Makes me think that the double-spacing issues the folks here are experiencing might be down to something peculiar to their own systems.

I should say I'm on a Windows 7 Pro. SP1 x64 system using Windows Classic theme. I notice that, so far, most of the complainants are using Windows 10 (that dog of a system might be the problem).

I also have no problems with the 'background colour' of the bookmarks menu -- it's grey (as per my Windows theme) as it has always been.

Have to say that I like the changes to the the rounded and so-called floating tabs and the minor changes to the look of the buttons and what is going on in the address-bar.
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

jscher2000, thanks for the script-just what I needed.
Anshe

Post by Anshe »

Fixing this mess is a hassle. Apart from the spaced out format, the contrast is now quite poor. Grey text on a grey background is utterly stupid, and for people with poor vision, it's discriminatory. The bookmark order has been changed in that properties has been moved from the bottom where it was easy to find to the middle. True it's alphabetical but it's easier to find at the bottom. When a new tab is opened the link graphics are smaller.

For some reason, modern programs are invariably with smaller everything, icons that have to be remembered when words would be clearer, a lot of clutter, and other ways to adversely affect functionability. I've returned software because it was not fit for purpose, tiny black text on a brown background.

The new colour schemes are dismal. All I need is two colours, active tab and the rest.
aindriu

Post by aindriu »

morat wrote:There are a few browser.proton.* prefs that partially disable the proton theme.

* browser.proton.enabled
Thanks very much, I like the new look but the bookmarks are too bloated. It's a good fix but pity it didn't target the bookmarks only.
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Thanks to everyone. For the most part I now have my old style back, less padding in menus and my tabs are connected, not rounded, and only the active tab has borders with no bottom border so the bottom border of the 'tab area' makes the tab a part of the whole across the browser border.

Can any tell me if there is a way to get rid of the change in color of the border around the url bar? It seems to be blue at certain times.

Thank you all!

Ruth