can't insert profile in previous build

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
helpful55

can't insert profile in previous build

Post by helpful55 »

Woke up yesterday am to the new firefox. NO. I couldn't even read the tabs. I installed the previous 88. Now I have an empty profile. I need all of my tabs and bookmarks and would like my complete profile back if I can. I copied the original app data to another location to preserve it. I have been trying to get mozilla to help me for over a day and still no real help. I think I have moved the profile over properly but anytime I try to start ffox it gives me a box that says: "Using an older version of Firefox can corrupt bookmarks and browsing history already saved to an existing Firefox profile. To protect your information, create a new profile for this installation of Firefox." It only has options to Exit (firefox launch), or Create New Profile. (I think it wants to overwrite the new profile it already created - the empty one, or overwrite the profile I copied to the file location). This is obviously a hangup box that firefox put into their program. Their problem and fault, but no one is getting back to me what to do or how to fix it. Anyone have an idea how to fix it? If I have to I can experiment as like I say I have my profile file saved in another location. Maybe if nothing else I can create this new profile, then go back and re enter the proper profile and maybe it will not give me the warning again. I need to get back to ffox, I hate chrome. And then I can start dealing with what to do instead of this new 89 version. Thanks.
WaltS48

Re: can't insert profile in previous build

Post by WaltS48 »

Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
helpful55

Post by helpful55 »

Ok that is addressing this. But when I allow the new profile then go to profile manager clicking start with my old profile it pops up that same damn box!! I cannot get command line to work. I type firefox.exe--allow-downgrade it does not recognize the command. I tried also with a space after .exe, same thing. Can I try selecting set as default profile? Seems like that shouldn't delete anything I need to keep. And like I say I have the full mozilla app data including the profile saved elsewhere. Thanks for any help.
helpful55

Post by helpful55 »

Found that by command line they mean in the run box. Still the same problem though no matter what I do.
helpful55

Post by helpful55 »

From the mozilla forums I was told to input firefox.exe --allow-downgrade -p (it has to be in the run box). And that gave me a more basic box where I could select from the available profiles. It did not give me the error that way and I am back in business. The help I got was just from a user, mozilla seemed to just bail out on me. Thanks firefox. firefox needs to fix whatever is causing this, it is their defect in their program. Thanks for the help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The help I got was just from a user, mozilla seemed to just bail out on me. Thanks firefox. firefox needs to fix whatever is causing this, it is their defect in their program.
Perhaps you are laboring under a misapprehension. Both this forum and the official Mozilla Support Forum ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/ ) are staffed by volunteers and Mozilla offers no direct response support. It's basically that way for most free software providers.
James

Post by James »

helpful55 wrote:Thanks firefox. firefox needs to fix whatever is causing this, it is their defect in their program.
Also Firefox is just the name of the web browser (was called Firebird and Phoenix in early releases for desktop) and the company that makes the Firefox web browsers for desktop, Android and iOS is Mozilla.
helpful55

Post by helpful55 »

When I search for firefox help it sends me right to the forums that are called mozilla. No one there told me anything like what is being said here. And I would like proof that the regular people that answer there are not affiliated and are just 100% volunteer. If so that should be stated. I was told they were going to find out more and get back and they never have days and days later. And this problem is not caused by my pc they are the ones that can and should fix it. Simple instead of ending up with all of this ancillary stuff.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No one there told me anything like what is being said here. And I would like proof that the regular people that answer there are not affiliated and are just 100% volunteer.
Perhaps if you read the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page. "We're not affiliated" etc, etc.
was told they were going to find out more and get back and they never have days and days later.
On what specific URL were you told that? Certainly not by anyone on these forums. Can you provide a link to the statement.