MozillaZine


Firefox 89.0 crashes immediately@ https://ivmmeta.com(Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

User avatar
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 4:23 am
Location: ... Da' Swamp

Post Posted June 29th, 2021, 7:06 am

reportingcrashbug wrote:
Grumpus wrote:Did you ever read the post about the errors at the site?
Could it just be a crap site?


Yes, but that comment was irrelevant. Firefox shouldn't crash. Also, it's not the only page.

It's relevant as some sites are set up for Windows and Mac only and then folks come here and complain about Firefox when it's the sloppy design of the page or deliberately so.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you

reportingcrashbug
 
Posts: 22
Joined: June 14th, 2021, 4:21 am

Post Posted June 29th, 2021, 8:10 am

Grumpus wrote:
reportingcrashbug wrote:
Grumpus wrote:Did you ever read the post about the errors at the site?
Could it just be a crap site?


Yes, but that comment was irrelevant. Firefox shouldn't crash. Also, it's not the only page.

It's relevant as some sites are set up for Windows and Mac only and then folks come here and complain about Firefox when it's the sloppy design of the page or deliberately so.


No, this thread is about firefox crashing.

reportingcrashbug
 
Posts: 22
Joined: June 14th, 2021, 4:21 am

Post Posted July 4th, 2021, 5:32 am

reportingcrashbug wrote:I don't know if this is a separate problem or related, but I've noticed a couple of times now after upgrading to 89.0.2 that firefox causes the system to run out of shared memory I think, or possibly out of threads or something. Meaning I can't start other programs until I've killed Firefox. Firefox itself starts working worse and worse when this happens as well. I didn't investigate further when this happened because my Firefox had stopped working and I couldn't open another browser, and then it became pretty hard to google the problem.


This sideproblem seems to be solved now just by increasing the number of user threads ("ulimit -u"). I guess Firefox 89 uses a lot more threads than previous versions. I increased the number from 1024 to 16384 and haven't had a problem with crashed tabs and so forth since then.

However, Firefox still crashes when visiting https://ivmmeta.com

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 20822
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted July 5th, 2021, 10:29 am

Is 1024 the default for ulimit -u or did you set it to that for some reason?
Is 16386 a default, or is that another manually selected value?

If you set ulimit -u to default (is that unlimited?) does ivmmeta work without crashing?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

reportingcrashbug
 
Posts: 22
Joined: June 14th, 2021, 4:21 am

Post Posted July 5th, 2021, 2:13 pm

therube wrote:Is 1024 the default for ulimit -u or did you set it to that for some reason?
Is 16386 a default, or is that another manually selected value?

If you set ulimit -u to default (is that unlimited?) does ivmmeta work without crashing?


1024 seems to be the default on my computer. 16386 is a number I selected manually.

I'll try to set unlimited number of user threads after the next time firefox crashes.

reportingcrashbug
 
Posts: 22
Joined: June 14th, 2021, 4:21 am

Post Posted July 22nd, 2021, 2:58 am

It's not possible to set unlimited number of threads, but I've set it system-wide to 63569 and rebooted, so number of threads should not be the cause of this crash anymore.

But it didn't help. ivmmeta.com still crashes

I've also updated firefox to 90.0.1, which didn't help either. Crash report from 90.0.1: https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 3cf0210722

Grumpus

User avatar
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 4:23 am
Location: ... Da' Swamp

Post Posted July 22nd, 2021, 7:27 am

Try 16256 and see if it works. Suggested as it may be past some allowance amount, also try 14000 or something slightly less.
You should also place the page where you keep crashing in the [url=http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri+with_options]W3C Validator and see if there is something on the page
which may relate to the reason it crashes Firefox.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests