MozillaZine

FF 89 tabs bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Martina22

Post Posted June 27th, 2021, 10:46 am

I want my tab bar back UNDER the my menu bars. I don't use Chrome and I am not a coder. WHY can this not be an option where you could right click and change it.
Not all seniors are tech savvy and I am VERY frustrated. If this cannot be fixed easily I will be going elsewhere for a browser.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 27th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Martina, just so you are clear, we are not Mozilla and do not have control over what changes are made to the program.

The references you see on these forums to chrome are not to Google’s Chrome browser but to the name of a subdirectory which can added to the Firefox profile structure to make changes to the user interface. It’s not necessary to learn to code to make the necessary changes as you can copy and paste the code provided in other topics on the forums, including this viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3075561

Mudder

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 10:21 am

DanRaisch wrote:Martina, just so you are clear, we are not Mozilla and do not have control over what changes are made to the program.

The references you see on these forums to chrome are not to Google’s Chrome browser but to the name of a sub directory which can added to the Firefox profile structure to make changes to the user interface. It’s not necessary to learn to code to make the necessary changes as you can copy and paste the code provided in other topics on the forums, including this viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3075561

I share Martina's frustration, but in 2018 I had things fixed thanks to Aris' work at github, then my main FF got buggered with v.89 and its been a nightmare ever since.
Even the hiccup that was v.71 was an easy fix, but not 89-91.
I'm struggling by with the box stock ESR which of course has the tabs in the "wrong" place {IMO} and I still don't have it fixed yet.

Again I say Mozilla should be easier to get at than it is.
Those snowflakes [as one poster put it] really need a gang of "villagers" with pitchforks and torches to come down and read them the riot act.
At least roll back the code to make it configurable again or at least to allow Classic Theme Restorer to work again on FF right 'out of the box' !
That would be the desired end to all this, go back to FF main being fully configurable, like in the past, OR to at least allowing CTR to work on it.
How hard can that be for people who are already coders?
Do any of those smegheads at the Mozilla Foundation actually read this board? I wonder??!!!
Last edited by Mudder on July 19th, 2021, 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

jscher2000

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 10:34 am

There was a proposed extension API to modify the toolbar area but it was never approved, so we continue to live in the Firefox 57+ world of userChrome.css files.

You can get help with userChrome.css mods on r/FirefoxCSS: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

dickvl

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 3:09 pm

The userChrome.css code for the tab bar below the Navigation Toolbar posted in this reply should work in 78 ESR.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3075330&p=14894237#p14894237

Some Windows themes can have a problem with the new tab plus button not being visible.
I don't know if you can fix this with a fill rule or otherwise.

Mudder

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 7:51 pm

dickvl wrote:The userChrome.css code for the tab bar below the Navigation Toolbar posted in this reply should work in 78 ESR.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3075330&p=14894237#p14894237

Some Windows themes can have a problem with the new tab plus button not being visible.
I don't know if you can fix this with a fill rule or otherwise.

Thanks, but prefer to keep my copy of the ESR stock as a backup for the research work, and work on fixing the main FF release as the daily driver.

dickvl

Post Posted July 20th, 2021, 3:42 pm

That code works in 78 ESR and in 90 release without making changes, so you can check it out how this works for you.
I merely mentioned that is also works in 78.

Return to Firefox Support