MozillaZine

Missing + Sign (Solved, I Hope)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 9:21 am

Complaint Number Infinity + One: The + sign for opening a new tab is missing.

This continuing finding of problems is rather tiresome, alas.

This was with the new profile I created yesterday. I just created yet another one, and found the + sign to be there. I wonder if I need to create yet another new profile, which I don't particularly want to do, but if that fixes some problems, so be it.
Last edited by John Liebson on July 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheVisitor

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 9:28 am

John Liebson wrote:Complaint Number Infinity + One: The + sign for opening a new tab is missing.

This continuing finding of problems is rather tiresome, alas.

Open the 'Customize' Panel, see if the 'New Tab' icon is there, drag it back to tab-bar just to the left of the down arrow.

John Liebson

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 10:38 am

My message which is directly above yours was not worded understandably, with my poor excuse that I am so frustrated with the Fx 90 problems I keep encountering.

What I should have said, as I think I did in another thread, the + sign was not in Customize Tobar, so I created another new profile a short while ago, using the same files I used to create the profile that was missing the sign, and it is now restored. I don't know if it might have been there yesterday, although I suspect it was. I have seen things change in Fx 90 overnight when I have not been logged on. The latest profile also restored most of the colored icons on the Tool Bar while it was at it.

dickvl

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Did you try to click Restore Defaults in the customize window to see whether that restores the '+' ?

John Liebson

Post Posted July 18th, 2021, 5:38 am

dickvl wrote:Did you try to click Restore Defaults in the customize window to see whether that restores the '+' ?

I don't know. Excuse; I have had so many Fx 90 problems that, like this one, I have never encountered until the release of 90.0 and, thus, have no idea how to deal with them. With the amount of time I have had to spend (translated, "waste") trying to fix them, the things I have done have become jumbled together. Thus, if I did click Restore Defaults, it did not work; if I did not, and it would have fixed the problem, that would have been quicker and easier than my creating yet another new profile.

My Fx mantra should be Megashigh....

John Liebson

Post Posted July 18th, 2021, 6:01 am

Speaking of problems, two this morning so far:

1. Feedbro, for at least the second time, lost its feed list overnight..
2. The Fx setting Search for text when you start typing, which was active when I wrote the reply just above, was inactive when I logged on again to reply to another thread. I reset it yet again.

GOOD GRIEF: Search for text when you start typing becamaeinactive after I posted this reply.

John Liebson

Post Posted July 18th, 2021, 10:11 am

dickvl wrote:Did you try to click Restore Defaults in the customize window to see whether that restores the '+' ?

There can be no question that Fx 90.0 does not like me, as shown by the fact that the + sign disappeared yet again. It was restored by following your instructions, but why I had to do that is, as the brilliant expression goes, "It is an unknown unknown", an expression that is about as unknowing as can be.

therube

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 9:57 am

Windows theme can make a difference.
FF Proton certainly causes the situation (depending on Windows theme).

In my case, my Win7 looks like XP (IOW, I have all the "fancy" crap turned off) & with that, the New Tab + does not display - until I hover the area where the + should be.

(Or, maybe it is there ? only certainly not noticeable.
[Something to do with, I believe someone mentioned drab.])

Maybe some CSS could brighten it up so that it is always visible?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

John Liebson

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm

therube wrote:Windows theme can make a difference.
FF Proton certainly causes the situation (depending on Windows theme).

In my case, my Win7 looks like XP (IOW, I have all the "fancy" crap turned off) & with that, the New Tab + does not display - until I hover the area where the + should be.

(Or, maybe it is there ? only certainly not noticeable.
[Something to do with, I believe someone mentioned drab.])

Maybe some CSS could brighten it up so that it is always visible?

I have my own theme, "Please Stop Causing Fx 90. Problems."

1. What Windows theme are you referring to? Do you mean the one I use with Fx (System theme now), or something else?

2. When the + is not there, it is certainly not noticeable. Again, as far as I can tell, it simply disappears at will. I don't recall anything about this in the "drab" thread, but I will take a look at it sometime to see if there is a hint there.

3. Perhaps CSS would help, but I don't know how to create any such thing, and I wonder if I did have iit would I ever know if it is making the + visible when, without the CSS, it has again become inisible.

therube

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 12:59 pm

What Windows theme

In my case, Win7, it reads, "Windows Classic".
Likewise, I disable all the "glitz" in (Windows) System Properties | Advanced -> Performance (except for; 'Smooth edges of screen fonts' & 'Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop').

Heh.
You only have Mozilla to thank for that!
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

John Liebson

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 1:51 pm

therube wrote:
What Windows theme

In my case, Win7, it reads, "Windows Classic".
Likewise, I disable all the "glitz" in (Windows) System Properties | Advanced -> Performance (except for; 'Smooth edges of screen fonts' & 'Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop').

Heh.
You only have Mozilla to thank for that!

Did you notice the major change i made to the title of this theme, accomplished by changing (Solverd I Hope) to (Solved Hope)? I now need to find a use for a leftover `r'...

Mine says "Custom". I was confused by your reference to a Windows Theme, as if that were something other than what to me is a desktop theme; I have a nice set of train images which have been in use for well over a year, I believe. I started looking for an airplane theme recently, did hot really have the time to investigate this, and forgot about it. This is the type of Windows-related subjects that I so rarely do anything with that their very titles and other matters do not register with me, at least when they first arise.

Return to Firefox Support