Browser.Proton setting now ignored?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
xanthon

Re: Browser.Proton setting now ignored?

Post by xanthon »

One suggested explanation for the extra vertical spacing is that it caters for 'phone users with fat fingers rather than a mouse or stylus to select an option.
bobsmodels

Post by bobsmodels »

Hi

I have the drop down menu issue of spacing too large with version 91 that changed out yesterday. I thought I understood that the following would reduce it. I followed all the video instructions on creating the userChrome.css file in a chrome folder in my profile. I copied the following into the userChrome.css file .

/*** Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing ***/

menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
padding-block: 4px !important;
}
:root {
--arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 4px 8px !important;
}

I closed firefox , opened it and no change, my drop-down still double spaced. I changed the value 4px to 2px following block: Nothing changed, I also restarted the pc.

This is the first time I tried something like this, I have swiped out profiles and modified other items in them in the past with no issue. This seemed straightforward. Teh profile
that is being used is xxxxx.default-release

Any assistance appreciated.

Bob
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

blued wrote:OK, I think I understand why the double spaced context menu is or is not an issue with some users. Usually there are not that many entries in it to be an issue and it looks fine. But when looking through a bookmarks folder with many links, they will not fit into the menu causing one to scroll down. So if you dont have that many bookmarks, it will not be an issue.

but that's nothing new. this was always the case: that you got bottom/top arrow to move around a list. there's always a cut-off. same with
browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo
browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo
and any other list.

the issue is simply it takes longer to move the mouse around for no particular reason. and someone mentioned Microsoft earlier, saying that's where they take their ideas from, I said no: it's Macos coding. but it seems to be true. while chrome/brave have tidy, compact menus, Edge has that bloated sh stain.
This maybe nice for cosmectic purposes big and voluminous, but it kills productivity. especially if Windows itself has a very compact context menu.
blued wrote:....
FF 90 with Proton UI disabled. Nice and tidy:
https://u.cubeupload.com/taco/FFCM3.png
this for example looks horrible to me. font way too big and too little spacing. If this is an accessibility thing (+ diopter and u dont wanna wear glasses) then sure. otherwise :S but that's just me.
blued

Post by blued »

Nestea wrote:
blued wrote:....
FF 90 with Proton UI disabled. Nice and tidy:
https://u.cubeupload.com/taco/FFCM3.png
this for example looks horrible to me. font way too big and too little spacing. If this is an accessibility thing (+ diopter and u dont wanna wear glasses) then sure. otherwise :S but that's just me.
Perfectly clear and readable to me with everything I need to see at a glance with no scrolling required to reveal hidden entries. Hence my preference and a more efficient usage of space imo. Have feeling this aspect of design was not noticed by the devs when too many entries flood the context menu, like it was a rushed job since it looked OK with few entries.
yoco007

Post by yoco007 »

Nestea wrote:
Ortho_Fan wrote: I'm kinda' hoping someone comes up with an add-on to do this. The last time I tried hacking userchrome, I ended up totally disabling Firefox and had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall. I blame it on dyslexia. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

[..]
OrthoFan
dude, I highly doubt you could've f up your profile that much with just the chrome folder aka CSS. nothing that folder can do that can't be undone by renaming it or the userchrome.css file.
try it again.

just make sure you're working in the correct profile directory. for that visit about:support > Profile Folder | click: Open Folder
there create a chrome folder. within that a userchrome.css, copypaste lines from above into userchrome.css
see https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-u ... e-css.html

u also need to set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true via about:config
Thank you so much for this explanation! My bookmarks are as they were before! Can it be done for tabs as well?
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

yoco007 wrote:.....
Thank you so much for this explanation! My bookmarks are as they were before! Can it be done for tabs as well?
I personally have not touched my tabs. I use tree style tab.
but I've seen some CSS out there that changed tabs. and many legacy designs carried over like Lepton.
here some resources https://www.userchrome.org/find-user-style-recipes.html
yoco007

Post by yoco007 »

Nestea wrote:
I personally have not touched my tabs. I use tree style tab.
but I've seen some CSS out there that changed tabs. and many legacy designs carried over like Lepton.
here some resources https://www.userchrome.org/find-user-style-recipes.html
Will look at it, thank you!
Do I have to make a new .css file for tabs or do I write everything in the one already created?
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

Do I have to make a new .css file for tabs or do I write everything in the one already created?
all goes into the same userchrome

anything in between /* */ is a comment. so if you want to organize your .css that's one way you do it.

Code: Select all

/* OMG THIS IS SO AMAZING. SO MUCH STYLE FOR MY TABS */
yoco007

Post by yoco007 »

Nestea wrote:
all goes into the same userchrome

anything in between /* */ is a comment. so if you want to organize your .css that's one way you do it.

Code: Select all

/* OMG THIS IS SO AMAZING. SO MUCH STYLE FOR MY TABS */
ok, tabs are back to normal! :D
does this css file breaks when there's a new FF update?
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

you should be good for the next 3-5 years.
yoco007

Post by yoco007 »

Nestea wrote:you should be good for the next 3-5 years.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
=D>
That's very nice to hear! :D
I know this FF forum, but I have to ask. Does this work for Chrome browser as well? I stopped using Chrome a few years ago when they also decide to make their UI like s*it!
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

yoco007 wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:
=D>
That's very nice to hear! :D
I know this FF forum, but I have to ask. Does this work for Chrome browser as well? I stopped using Chrome a few years ago when they also decide to make their UI like s*it!
I don't use chrome. I don't understand its profile directory structure. I don't like its option menu layout at all. history manager is shit. its 6 month max history is a joke, and just too many more things, top of the list probably that it's Google.
I have Brave installed but I have no idea if you can customize the browser. I assume yes since there are skins you can download.

but no, you probably won't be able to copypasta firefox CSS into Chrome. they probably use entirely different label names.

"lines from above" are here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14900528
or the link xanthon pasted.
Last edited by Nestea on August 16th, 2021, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffent

Post by coffent »

Nestea & yoco007,

I'm having a problem following the dialog regarding bookmark spacing. Apparently Nestea posted a way to return them to single spacing ("copypaste lines from above into userchrome.css"). What are the "lines from above"? Do they specifically address the bookmark issue? Thanks.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

@coffent See these links. You can change the px values if you wish. Changing the first to 2px has been suggested.

https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-u ... e-css.html
http://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-st ... on-ui.html
molitar

Post by molitar »

Best suggestion dump Firefox.

Waterfox you can simply copy your Firefox profile.. might need to reinstall one or two add-ons but all worked perfectly. For site compatibility just go into about:config and create a Firefox User Agent String.

Get back the Firefox you liked with Waterfox.