Richard1296

Re: Browser.Proton setting now ignored?

Post by Richard1296 »

Thanks but didn't change anything...even tried it in a fresh profile

Richard
essmeier

Post by essmeier »

I don't mean the color of the bookmark I'm hovering over. I see the hover. I mean the background color of the bookmarks menu itself.

My background color of the bookmarks menu used to be gray. Now it's white.
essmeier

Post by essmeier »

I don't mean the color of the bookmark I'm hovering over. I mean the background color behind the entire list of bookmarks.

It used to be gray. Now it's white.
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

essmeier wrote:I don't mean the color of the bookmark I'm hovering over. I see the hover. I mean the background color of the bookmarks menu itself.

My background color of the bookmarks menu used to be gray. Now it's white.
it's the very very close of being the same color it was before. windows context menu color. my 60 version has the same

but here you go

Code: Select all

menupopup { 
    --panel-color: green !important;
    --panel-background: #F0F0F0 !important;
	}
same deal. go to hex color website and pick a color. current hex is standard windows gray.
remove -color to remove font folor.

maybe shop around for a nice light gray skin on r/FirefoxCSS or similar
Richard1296

Post by Richard1296 »

That solved my problem , kept your grey code and changed to black
from green for the text.
Any way to change the highlight color to a light blue ?
Thanks Nestea

Richard
Last edited by Richard1296 on August 11th, 2021, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
essmeier

Post by essmeier »

That did it. Thanks!
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Nestea wrote: dude, I highly doubt you could've f up your profile that much with just the chrome folder aka CSS. nothing that folder can do that can't be undone by renaming it or the userchrome.css file.
try it again.

just make sure you're working in the correct profile directory. for that visit about:support > Profile Folder | click: Open Folder
there create a chrome folder. within that a userchrome.css, copypaste lines from above into userchrome.css
see https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-u ... e-css.html

u also need to set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true via about:config
I want to thank you, kindly. I followed your easy to understand instructions, copied and pasted the code from above, closed out Firefox, reopened it and VIOLA!!! all of the context menus, including the all important bookmarks menu, are about as they were before.

Now, I'm wondering what I did before--about six or ten years ago--when I messed up Firefox so much.... I wish I could remember, so I won't do it again.

In any event, MANY THANKS for your help.

Ortho_Fan
(Fan of Orthophonic Victrolas, which is more my speed when it comes to technology.)
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

Richard1296 wrote:That solved my problem , kept your grey code and changed black
to green for the text.
Any way to change the highlight color to a light blue ?
Thanks Nestea

Richard
you can remove the color line entirely
go back up and visit the hex color website. paste the other code too into userchrome
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14900558
blued

Post by blued »

I would like to know is this context menu spacing deliberate or an oversight that will be fixed later on? Just boggles the mind why it hasnt been addressed and needs hacks or tweaks to correct. Anyway, restored backup of v90 and disabled updates. What an annoying browser this is becoming!
Lotesdelere

Post by Lotesdelere »

DSperber wrote:the very obvious cosmetic appearance changes now being forced with version 91. Apparently the overrides (reverting to the old pre-Proton look) are no longer even available, as it seems the old code has now been removed.
Yep, once again the Firefox devs don't listen at all to their users. I see no reason why I should be forced to use this useless and ugly double spacing. I see no reason why I should be forced to tweak my browser.
No wonder why they are losing many users year after year.
Richard1296

Post by Richard1296 »

Every time Firefox messes up its features and I have to search and ask for a
solution I wind up using Chrome or Pale Moon until I can get it back to normal.
I really don't like Chrome because it is owned by Google but at least its appearance
and function is consistent. Pale Moon is a lot like Firefox and is probably where I will
finally go when the annoyances of Firefox outweigh its usefulness.
I like Firefox, I just don't know if I like it enough to continue to put up with their
constant changes. Maybe the changes work well on a mobile device...they sure don't
on a desktop or laptop.
Any other recommended browsers I should try ?

Richard
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

blued wrote:I would like to know is this context menu spacing deliberate or an oversight that will be fixed later on? Just boggles the mind why it hasnt been addressed and needs hacks or tweaks to correct. Anyway, restored backup of v90 and disabled updates. What an annoying browser this is becoming!
don't, web standards change way too fast these days. just use the CSS for this.

the only reason you would want to revert back, is that you can't handle the dark mode in your history/bookmarks manager. (I can't handle it).
I'm a dark mode all-the-way guy but the history is so hard to read (by scrolling (fast)) with the dark background and white font.
I guess I need to make some CSS for myself for the history manager.
Lotesdelere wrote:Yep, once again the Firefox devs don't listen at all to their users. I see no reason why I should be forced to use this useless and ugly double spacing. I see no reason why I should be forced to tweak my browser.
No wonder why they are losing many users year after year.
obviously on purpose.
leave the telemetry on.
Richard1296 wrote:[...]
Any other recommended browsers I should try ?

Richard
not really but:
https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... o_firefox/
https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... o_firefox/
Lotesdelere

Post by Lotesdelere »

Richard1296 wrote:I really don't like Chrome because it is owned by Google but at least its appearance and function is consistent.
You can use ungoogled Chromium by Marmaduke instead :wink:
https://chromium.woolyss.com
Richard1296 wrote:Any other recommended browsers I should try ?
Waterfox:
https://www.waterfox.net

Nestea wrote:leave the telemetry on.
Yep, took me ages to disable every connection on startup, another pain :?
blued

Post by blued »

Nestea wrote:
blued wrote:I would like to know is this context menu spacing deliberate or an oversight that will be fixed later on? Just boggles the mind why it hasnt been addressed and needs hacks or tweaks to correct. Anyway, restored backup of v90 and disabled updates. What an annoying browser this is becoming!
the only reason you would want to revert back, is that you can't handle the dark mode in your history/bookmarks manager. (I can't handle it).
I'm a dark mode all-the-way guy but the history is so hard to read (by scrolling (fast)) with the dark background and white font.
I guess I need to make some CSS for myself for the history manager.
That has nothing to do with the context menu which was my only complaint. Not sure how others are dealing with it or dont mind the menu covering the whole page vertically and have to scroll down thru it to see all items, but that is what I presume most complaints about the double spaced menu are. It hinders productivity and especially on larger screens where you have to move the cursor across larger areas to zero in on what you need to do in the menu.

**** updated, see below post***
Last edited by blued on August 12th, 2021, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blued

Post by blued »

OK, I think I understand why the double spaced context menu is or is not an issue with some users. Usually there are not that many entries in it to be an issue and it looks fine. But when looking through a bookmarks folder with many links, they will not fit into the menu causing one to scroll down. So if you dont have that many bookmarks, it will not be an issue.

FF 91 small context menu, looks fine:
https://u.cubeupload.com/taco/ffcontextmenu2.png

But when many entries (like bookmarks), you have to scroll thru it:
https://u.cubeupload.com/taco/FFcontextmenu.png

FF 90 with Proton UI disabled. Nice and tidy:
https://u.cubeupload.com/taco/FFCM3.png