Kill "web page is slowing down your browser" banner?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Kill "web page is slowing down your browser" banner?

Post by semigeek »

There's one particular site I visit (mapping, data-intensive, USgovt) that always triggers this new(ish) yellow banner in FF 78 for 5-10 seconds before fully loading. It's pointless as well as annoying; if a page is slow to load I can see that myself and decide whether to do anything about it. Is there a config pref to kill the banner? I'm having trouble with a css approach because it disappears again (disabling autohide doesn't help) and I can't make out a specific ID, only the class .global-notificationbox which seems too broad to want to disable.
semigeek

Re: Kill "web page is slowing down your browser" banner?

Post by semigeek »

OK... I stumbled on a config suggestion I'm trying out:
dom.ipc.reportProcessHangs = false
dom.ipc.processHangMonitor = false

And this works. So now my question is... is it a good idea? Is there a downside in other circumstances?
Last edited by semigeek on August 22nd, 2021, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Got a direct link to map/site causing the issue ?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Thanks, I had no issues with that map, i.e. no 'slow script warning' I have gig of ram on a 10meg DSL land-line, win10. CPU is an i5-10400
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Hmm, now I'm getting a popup complaint instead:
"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: https://fire.airnow.gov/app.af92cc67bd0 ... 1126148824"
And I have to click a choice on that, which is even worse than the stupid banner that goes away on its own. (The "don't ask again" checkbox doesn't work, why is it there?)

So I experimented again... the solution seems to be setting only the first "report" pref false, leaving the second "monitor" one true. This way I get no banner, and no popup.

The question remains: any downside to dom.ipc.reportProcessHangs = false ?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

See this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1087039 there is another dom.ipc.processHangMonitor pref you could flip and restart browser.

See also: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wa ... t?cache=no extend the dom. script run time.

Also you 2nd link you posted give me a 404, something wrong with the paste of the link I suspect.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

TheVisitor wrote:there is another dom.ipc.processHangMonitor pref you could flip and restart browser.

See also: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wa ... t?cache=no extend the dom. script run time.

Also you 2nd link you posted give me a 404, something wrong with the paste of the link I suspect.
dom.ipc.processHangMonitor is the other pref I already mentioned above. The js link gave me a 404 too, nothing wrong with the paste. Maybe that's the problem, a script isn't being found. (I wonder why the page loaded fine for you as we're running quite similar systems. I don't have geolocation enabled...)

Your mozilla link recommends dom.max_script_run_time which offers a cleaner solution than messing with processHang prefs. The default was 10; setting 20 nicely avoids the warning here, and I feel comfortable keeping that. Thanks.

Of course it would be even better not to need a damn smoke map...