Reduce space gap between bookmark menu items?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DSperber

Re: Reduce space gap between bookmark menu items?

Post by DSperber »

Well, not to polish the golden screw even more, but I've now decided that maybe 0px padding-block really is what I want in v92 after all, to duplicate the look of v91.

My original screenshots for v91 were from a monitor running at 2560x1440 125%. My original screenshots for v92 were from a monitor running at 1920x1200 125% So perhaps it's more difficult to compare v91 to v92. I've now taken a fresh screenshot for v91 off of a laptop running 1920x1080 125%. This should make it easier to visually compare v91 spacing produced by the orginal CSS element avs. v92 spacing using the new CSS element.

So, here is now the 1920x1080 v91 vertical spacing i'd like to duplicate in v92:

And here again is the corresponding v92 spacing (through the new CSS element) with 0px in size:

Now that the two different monitors for v91 vs. v92 are running at the same desktop resolution, I think it's now clear that 0px for v92 is identical to 0px for v91. So I've new reverted the new v92 CSS element to have that 0px padding-block size.

And just for closure, here again is the vertical spacing using 1px padding-block. Small difference (well, after all it's only 1px different!) but visible. Definitely slightly more veritcal white space between items than at 0px.

And just for even more closure, here is a new screenshot using 0px padding-block after adding the other new v92 CSS element which restores the light-gray color to menu panel backgrounds:

==> I''m now at 0px FTW.
Adolf Stalin

Post by Adolf Stalin »

I just updated to 92 and I have the same problem. Unfortunately, none of the solutions found on the net (examples below) seem to do the trick. I'm certain that my userChrome.css works because an old tweak that switches the URL and tab bars still works.

Code: Select all

/* remove padding in bookmarks menu */
menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
padding-block: 2px !important;
}

/*** Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing ***/

menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
  padding-block: 4px !important;
}
:root {
  --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 4px 8px !important;
}

menupopup:not(.in-menulist) > menuitem,
menupopup:not(.in-menulist) > menu {
  padding-block: 0px !important;
  min-height: unset !important; /* v92.0 - for padding below 4px */
}
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

Here is my own piece of userChrome.css that controls spacing. The items appear in exactly the order shown, and all of them are present.

/* v92.0 vertical menu item spacing */
}

/* Bookmark and context menu spacing */
menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {padding-block: 0px !important;
}

/* Options menu spacing */
:root {--arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 0px 0px !important;
}
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

DSperber wrote:Here is my own piece of userChrome.css that controls spacing. The items appear in exactly the order shown, and all of them are present.

/* v92.0 vertical menu item spacing */
}

/* Bookmark and context menu spacing */
menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {padding-block: 0px !important;
}

/* Options menu spacing */
:root {--arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 0px 0px !important;
}
And as you said earlier, big shout out to jscher2000. Thanks to his and your work I've finally undone yet another of the bad things that the Firefox Developers seem intent on putting into action.
Adolf Stalin

Post by Adolf Stalin »

If anyone's wondering - I managed to solve my problem by rearranging the tweaks in userchrome.css.

It used to be TABS BELOW URL BAR TWEAK followed by BOOKMARK PADDING TWEAK. Now it's vice versa.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Adolf Stalin wrote:If anyone's wondering - I managed to solve my problem by rearranging the tweaks in userchrome.css.

It used to be TABS BELOW URL BAR TWEAK followed by BOOKMARK PADDING TWEAK. Now it's vice versa.
This could indicate that there's a missing } at the end of a block of rules which is causing problems with following rules. If you have a text editor that highlights beginning and ending () [] and {} that's helpful to spot that kind of issue. I think both Notepad++ and VSCode can do it.