Problems Moving Sessions From Old Profile To New Profile

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Scott_1A

Problems Moving Sessions From Old Profile To New Profile

Post by Scott_1A »

I am trying to move my tab URLs (session) from my current profile to a new one I have just created on the same computer (I have a very large number of open tabs on my current profile). I thought I could probably accomplish this by just renaming the sessionstore.jsonlz4 file on the new profile to a different or backup name, then copy the recovery.jsonz4 file from the sessionstore-backups folder in the current to the new profile and rename it to sessionstore.jsonlz4.

This did not work however, no session was moved over. I tried the same thing using the recovery.baklz4 file from the current folder instead and that also did not work. I had Firefox completely shut down whenever I was doing any work on the profiles so I'm not sure why those didn't work or what I am missing.

Can someone tell me how I can move this session over to my new profile either using this technique or some other one? I didn't think I could use "sync" since I was trying to move the session to a different profile on the same computer instead of to a different computer. I have a found a site (jeffersonschur.com) which will let me "scrounge" the URLs individually but since I have so many, I would rather be able to do it in a "batch" or single operation.

Also, I have developed several questions while doing this.

1. What is the actual difference between the recovery.baklz4 and recovery.jsonlz4 files? Do they contain identical information but in different formats? If so, which one is the correct file for what I am trying to accomplish?

2. I noticed that while there is a sessionstore.jsonlz4 in the new profile which I just created but I cannot find that same file in my current profile. The only file I can find regarding sessions in my current profile is one called session-checkpoints.json. Why would this be?

3. Is the old sessionstore.js file no longer in use?

I am using Firefox 92.0 and Windows 10, 21H1. Thanks for any help.
therube

Re: Problems Moving Sessions From Old Profile To New Profile

Post by therube »

Existing Profile

Create New Profile
In that Profile, set FF to restore its' session on browser Startup

With FF closed, copy sessionstore.jsonlz4 from Existing into (& overwriting, if need be) New.

Open New
FF New should open with the same set of tabs as Existing

Note that by default, FF is not set to restore its' session.
And if you did not pre-set New to restore its' session on startup, it would not restore the session.
Though you can still load that session through, History 'Restore Previous Session'.

I believe that should work.
Backup & test.

3. Is the old sessionstore.js file no longer in use?
Correct. Though it can't hurt to simply archive it away.
(It could be, not sure, that on the first open, if no .jsonlz4 (or various incarnation of such) are found, that it would import from .js ?)
2. I noticed that while there is a sessionstore.jsonlz4 in the new profile which I just created but I cannot find that same file in my current profile.
sessionstore.jsonlz4 is existent only when FF is closed.
(Some machinations along the line of; sessionstore.jsonlz4 gets moved & rename into /sessionstore-backups/, & on quit, it gets moved & renamed back.)
1. What is the actual difference between the recovery.baklz4 and recovery.jsonlz4 files?
Maybe this covers some of that, Can't seem to recover my session?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript