How to disable Bookmarks double spacing?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pokeefe0001

How to disable Bookmarks double spacing?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

How do I disable double spacing in the Bookmarks pull-down menu without first becoming a CSS programmer? I finally updated from FF 84 to FF 91 and hate the look (and wasted space). I understand this change might be a help for people using touch screens but it's worthless for me on a desktop PC or non-touch screen laptop.

I am just an end user, not a developer or programmer. I think expecting users to code style sheets to undo GUI changes like this is not reasonable.
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
DSperber

Re: How to disable Bookmarks double spacing?

Post by DSperber »

pokeefe0001 wrote:How do I disable double spacing in the Bookmarks pull-down menu without first becoming a CSS programmer?
Well, unfortunately you're going to have to at least follow a straightforward "recipe" that deals with a few technical things. But you don't have to become a CSS programmer in order to follow the instructions. Just follow the instructions.

I say this because starting with FF91 it is simply not possible to customize the look or accomplish reverting FF to look just as it used to back with version 88. I'm sure you'd like that, since you've expressed your distaste for the new look, double-spacing of bookmarks and menus, etc. You can, in fact, get back to the way it used to look, but you're going to have to follow the recipe. I know you're end-user and not a developer or programmer. But the steps to follow are basic and straight forward.

Please look at my post (2nd post in this other thread) which provides EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. That other poster had exactly the same request as you did. You don't need to know how to code CSS, just COPY EXACTLY WHAT I PROVIDED AS A "STARTER". Trust me, it will look like it did in FF88, with single-spaced menus, etc.

If you have any questions, or if any of my steps are unclear or "above your pay grade as an end-user non-programmer", just ask. I can elaborate in more detail to get you through to the finish line, to accomplish your objective.

NOTE: I prefer not to copy the post in that other thread and duplicate it here, when you can just go there to that other thread and find the information you seek here.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Why does one have to fiddle around with "chrome" to get version 91 and above looking usable again? I don't get it. I don't use chrome. Hell, I don't even have a cell phone. Don't need one. And I certainly don't need to get involved with "chrome" to get FF looking half-way usable.

I appreciate your instructions, but they are not for me. I'm tired of jacking around with all of FF's crap and am sticking with V89 as long as it works.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

skuddle wrote:Why does one have to fiddle around with "chrome" to get version 91 and above looking usable again? I don't get it. I don't use chrome. Hell, I don't even have a cell phone. Don't need one. And I certainly don't need to get involved with "chrome" to get FF looking half-way usable.
I agree 100%.
DSperber wrote:...Well, unfortunately you're going to have to at least follow a straightforward "recipe" that deals with a few technical things. But you don't have to become a CSS programmer in order to follow the instructions. Just follow the instructions.
Please look at my post (2nd post in this other thread) which provides EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. That other poster had exactly the same request as you did. You don't need to know how to code CSS, just COPY EXACTLY WHAT I PROVIDED AS A "STARTER". Trust me, it will look like it did in FF88, with single-spaced menus, etc.
While I will probably follow your advice (after trying to figure out what this CSS hack does), I absolutely do not advise anybody to blindly following forum advice to "just COPY EXACTLY WHAT I PROVIDED". Malware gets spread that way. (An addon provided through proper channels is just as unintelligible but has supposedly gone through some verification process.)
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Patrick,
All the regulars here that post info/suggestions/fixes etc., etc., are not just posting to spread anything nasty or malicious.
They are all here to help with most problems that crop up.

They've all been here for many years & are all trusted....otherwise they would not be allowed to stay here.

Check out their details/join date/posts etc., under their User Name on the left.

Plus....Some of the extensions have not been verified by anyone at Mozilla.

We moderators usually take care of any spammers that try to register & post their garbage here fairly quickly.
(Well....most of the time.)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
James

Post by James »

skuddle wrote:Why does one have to fiddle around with "chrome" to get version 91 and above looking usable again? I don't get it. I don't use chrome. Hell, I don't even have a cell phone. Don't need one. And I certainly don't need to get involved with "chrome" to get FF looking half-way usable.
Note that the chrome folder and userChrome.css and chrome:// urls in Firefox have nothing to do with the separate Google Chrome web browser. The Chrome has been a part of Mozilla development like the Mozilla Suite (now as SeaMonkey) for a decade before Google Chrome even existed and the browser we know as Firefox existed some six years before Google Chrome.

In the Firefox web browser, the chrome is any visible aspect of a browser aside from the webpages themselves (e.g., toolbars, menu bar, tabs).

ex: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Chrome_folder
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Chrome_URLs
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dev_:_Firefox_Chrome_URLs

So you do not need the Google Chrome web browser installed for any reason in order to use the Firefox web browser.

pokeefe0001 wrote:While I will probably follow your advice (after trying to figure out what this CSS hack does), I absolutely do not advise anybody to blindly following forum advice to "just COPY EXACTLY WHAT I PROVIDED". Malware gets spread that way. (An addon provided through proper channels is just as unintelligible but has supposedly gone through some verification process.)
Doing anything with userChrome.css will not lead to malware as it is only a way to change the interface look. http://kb.mozillazine.org/userChrome.css
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

pokeefe0001 wrote:While I will probably follow your advice (after trying to figure out what this CSS hack does), I absolutely do not advise anybody to blindly following forum advice to "just COPY EXACTLY WHAT I PROVIDED". Malware gets spread that way. (An addon provided through proper channels is just as unintelligible but has supposedly gone through some verification process.)
Well, I' was just trying to help out and make things very easy for you, so that you wouldn't actually have to learn anything you didn't want to learn, or go hunting for help in many other threads and then try to figure out how to combine all of the advice you've picked up.

When I said "just copy exactly what I provided", if you could read/understand CSS at all you would see that this is the one single file named "userChrome.css" which is required to exist in a folder named "chrome". Inside that one userChrome.css file are exactly "small tweaks" for the look of Firefox to make it look like it did back in FF88. And there is absolutely no relationship in any of this story to the Google Chrome browser, it's just that the required Firefox folder name to hold the file happens to be named "chrome" and the file name itself must be named "userChrome.css".

So, if you want all six tweaks, you might as well just pick up my userChrome.css file and use it in its entirety. What could possibly be easier and simpler for you than giving you exactly what you're asking for? All it does is what it's supposed to do, namely modify the appearance of FF:

(a) It tightens up the vertical spacing of menu dropdowns,

(b) changes the background color of menus from pure white to light gray,

(c) sets the background color and text appearance of each "active" menu item as you move the cursor up and down over the menu so that the "active" item kind of "lights up",

(d) restores tabs to their rectangular shape and attached to the address bar rather than having rounded corners and presented floating above the address bar,

(e) restores a thin visible vertical separator line between tabs, so that you can actually see each tab distinctly,

(f) restores the color of "bookmark folders"to the same manila folder color as Windows Explorer, rather than plain gray.

That's not malware in that file. It's the mandatory CSS elements needed to accomplish the above appearance tweaks. If you don't like the way FF92 looks, you're going to have to do exactly what I'm giving you (which was in fact gleaned and collected from the replies of experts answering my own questions as to how to make these tweaks happen), or something like it.

Otherwise, I can't help you.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

>>When I said "just copy exactly what I provided", if you could read/understand CSS at all you would see that this is the one single file named "userChrome.css" which is required to exist in a folder named "chrome". Inside that one userChrome.css file are exactly "small tweaks" for the look of Firefox to make it look like it did back in FF88. And there is absolutely no relationship in any of this story to the Google Chrome browser, it's just that the required Firefox folder name to hold the file happens to be named "chrome" and the file name itself must be named "userChrome.css".<<

Thank you for your explanation of "chrome", and for letting users know just what your modified userChrome.css file does. I'll give it a try later today.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8