Odd New Tab Behavior (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Odd New Tab Behavior (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

Windows 11, Fx 93.0 (as of a few minutes ago, but also seen with 92.x)

Middle click on forum entries, which open new tabs; in most cases, when I switch to such a new tab, I then have to place the cursor in the URL box and use the Enter key to show the text. What is even odder is that, once I open a tab which shows the text upon going to that tab, subsequent chosen tabs also show the text without having to use the URL/Enter sequence.

Further strangeness is that, so far, I have not been able to pin this down to any single extension. In Troubleshooting Mode, problem does not exist. After restarting and disabling a set of extensions, problem goes away; if I then reenable one extension at a time, restart Fx and find problem is not there, I continue until I find an extension that causes the problem. If I then reenable the rest of the set of disabled extensions. the problem recurs.

I did a very short test using MS Edge, which opened every new tab with its text shown.

===
I just encountered the same problem outside of the forum: I was clicking on news feeds, which open new tabs, and found that for most of them I had to use URL/Enter to see the text. Truly strange, in one set of four feeds, at least one of them had the text showing with no further action needed by me. I suspect that this happened during earlier news feed sessions, but if it did, I just used URL/Enter without really paying attention to the odd behavior.

====
Still later, this seems to be a Firefox problem, as it does not occur using either MS Edge nor Google Chrome. If it is a bug, as would be determined if others encounter the problem, then I would file a Bugzilla report.
Last edited by John Liebson on October 11th, 2021, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xanthon

Re: Odd New Tab Behavior

Post by xanthon »

I occasionally get the same issue when loading a tab (not with middle click) with version 92.0, particularly with the Mozilla support site. Not with this site. Reloading is usually sufficient rather than using the urlbar.

EDIT: It may be caused by Zoom Page WE: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... ound_will/
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

xanthon wrote:I occasionally get the same issue when loading a tab (not with middle click) with version 92.0, particularly with the Mozilla support site. Not with this site. Reloading is usually sufficient rather than using the urlbar.

EDIT: It may be caused by Zoom Page WE: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... ound_will/
Thank you, that certainly appears to be the culprit. Given the strange results I had seen with disabling sets of add-ons, as I reported, I never got near the bottom of my add-ons list. Zoom Page WE in the Add-ons page indicates that a forthcoming release will fix this. If so, I will mark this thread as solved.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Zoom Page WE, Version 19.2 has been released. As my testing of a number of links, both in this forum and elsewhere, all showed that the extension once again is working, I am going to mark this thread as having been solved.