Alter bookmarks order, but NOT in "organize bookmarks"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sabin

Alter bookmarks order, but NOT in "organize bookmarks"

Post by Sabin »

Hello,

I want to change in which order the Firefox bookmarks are displayed (I want them restored to the "sort by date: added" rule, with the latest appearing first, the oldest, last), but not in the control-shif-O window, the Organize Bookmarks window. In that window, we may choose a sorting order (name, date, added, etc), but it is not permanent.

I'm talking about the vertical list that shows up when you click that button with an outlined star image, here, I made a screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/gWCihsu

I'm not sure how this button is actually called, I pulled it out of the toolbar personalization feature, it was one of the available buttons, sorry.
But the gist is, you click it, and below it are going to be loaded the list of the bookmarks.

If you would know how I may force this list to be always, permanently, sorted by date of addition, with latest added first, I would be most grateful, thank you :)

If you're curious as to the context of my query, since I'm asking how something that is already, normally, the default behaviour, could be enforced...

Normally - well, the way I understand it - that list is ALREADY displayed by date: added, right? When I hit control-D, bookmarks aren't placed at random.

I use the "default bookmark folder" extension, to make sure new links appear in the root of the bookmarks menu ("all bookmarks"), instead of going in the default subdirectory "other bookmarks", and to make sure the bookmarks are displaying, at first, the newer bookmarks, not the oldest.
But even before that extension was added, normally, the bookmarks list was sorted by date of addition, at least, that criteria was reliable.

I write "normally", because, of course, there's been a bug.
For some reason, which I will probably never know (and care little about), there's been a change, that list is now unsorted. I see old and new bookmarks one after the other and again, starting with letters from the beginning, middle or end of the alphabet at random... Beats me, I can't tell under which criteria it has become sorted.
And yet, the weirdest and funniest part is, new bookmarks I'm adding (control-D) will, again, appear on top of the bookmarks list, with new bookmarks placing themselves on top again, it's working again... for the new bookmarks, screw the old ones their order is gone. I'm with a clear separation that is not making logical sense.
Disabling my only bookmarks-related extension, "default bookmarks folder", changed nothing (well, except that new bookmarks go into their subdirectory and it's sorted by date:added with oldest on top, but at least that's a logical sorting), restoring it back only changed the treatment applied to newly added links, as vaguely expected.

I can certainly live with it, it's no big issue at all, so by all means, don't waste too much precious time on it, it's not an important problem. Random unexplainable bugs will happen on the occasion in every program, it's nothing new under the sun.

But, who knows, maybe it's got a simple explanation that won't waste your time, and if it's like that, thank you so much for your help :)
jscher2000

Re: Alter bookmarks order, but NOT in "organize bookmarks"

Post by jscher2000 »

By default, new bookmarks are always added at the bottom of wherever you add them. And the built-in Sort feature can only sort alphabetically. So any deviations from those behaviors must be related to extensions, and by the same token, all solutions involve extensions. There are a couple sorting extensions. I haven't tested them in recent years.

* https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... bookmarks/
* https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ks-webext/