Facebook screens moving when typing comments.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RonSMeyer

Facebook screens moving when typing comments.

Post by RonSMeyer »

Starting as of today, the FACEBOOK screen suddenly moves when I am typing a comment. Whenever I hit SHIFT+alpha_letter at the beginning of a line OR simply hit the backspace key, the screen suddenly shifts about a page upward toward the top. This shifts the entry area where I'm typing off the screen. Just hitting the backspace to correct a typo causes the screen to scroll on its own. I have to scroll back down to the entry box and if I make another typo, it happens again. It is maddening!

I've restarted in troubleshoot mode and the same thing happens, so it is not an add-on. This is happening on both my Firefox Linux systems AND on a Windows 10 machine, so I don't think it is specifically OS related either. The screen however does stay put, like it is supposed to, using Chrome or Opera.

First, Is anyone else seeing this same behavior, so I know it is not just me?
Second, any thoughts on what the problem is?
jscher2000

Re: Facebook screens moving when typing comments.

Post by jscher2000 »

Strange. It is possible to set Backspace to Page Up when the cursor is not in a form field. In about:config, that would be

browser.backspace_action => 1

To disable the key as a navigation key, set the preference to 2 (its default value in recent versions of Firefox).

However, a shifted letter doesn't make sense as a scroll trigger.
RonSMeyer

Post by RonSMeyer »

So the phenomena started on three separate computers and two OS's, all at the same time; around noon yesterday (U.S. Central). It ONLY affected Facebook. Every other site worked as it should. NO keyboard or settings were changed. I would know, I'm the only one with access. Then, last night around 11:00pm all three computers, all at the same time, suddenly started to behave normally again.

So I'm going with Facebook had some script screwed up, and they fixed it.
onlye

Post by onlye »

Same issue here. It just seemed to start. Can't figure out what is the cause. Happens in no other programs or websites, just on Facebook. It is a bit maddening.
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

I have the exact same issue as RonSMeyer (Original Post). Yes ... I think I may have found the fix and it's easy, but it doesn't make sense.
It has to do with where the zoom is set......

Here's what cures the problem, at least for me using Firefox. The 'Zoom' seems to be the Culprit. I have it set to 110% for text only as my default. It doesn't matter what I set the default to, it has to do with what I have Firefox.com set to. That would be also 110%. The trick for me is to NOT use 110%. I can use 100%, 120% and it works fine.

The problem is, reporting a bug in this forum will not gather Mozilla's attention!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The problem is, reporting a bug in this forum will not gather Mozilla's attention!
No, because it's not supposed to. Bug reporting is what Bugzilla is for -- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/index.cgi
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

Thanks Dan. It's already been posted on Bugzilla, and I tried to contact Facebook through my help menu.

For anyone else reading this, you can google this.... Facebook comment box scrolling issue. There are so many people having the same problem. There are no definite fixes for any browsers. It appears it's a Facebook website issue. For now, you can just try things that have worked for other people, in hope one works for you. Luckily, I found my Firefox fix (above), until that stops working. :(
James

Post by James »

Majorbuzz wrote:The problem is, reporting a bug in this forum will not gather Mozilla's attention!
Not directly as this forum is not a part of nor run by Mozilla as it is independent. Right now it is over seen by Open Source Lab at OSU.

https://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Mozilla has their own community support forum and KB at support.mozilla.org
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

Thanks James. :)
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

I got so annoyed with the runaway scrolling using Facebook I switched to Chrome for that site. But Chrome started doing it a bit too, often jumping 2 or 3 posts. Then I noticed Chrome was not framing many graphics properly and getting slow to display other graphic links. I recently switched back to FF and the interface is much better. If it starts runaway scrolling again, it means I'm spending too much time on FB.