Cookie Weirdness and Windows 11

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Cookie Weirdness and Windows 11

Post by John Liebson »

This is just a comment for which I don't really expect any solution.

Kalmbach Publishing has a long-standing and known problem, where you cannot log out of forums such as Trains Magazine and Classic Trains Magazine until you first delete the related cookies. With Windows 10, this was a nuisance but it was easy to take care of by going to Fx Settings/Privacy & Security/Manage Data and entering "Trains", which would find all related cookies which could be deleted. That done, returning to the relevant sites and clicking on log out took care this.

Today, for the first time using Windows 11, the above process found only one related cookie; that allowed me to log out of at least one site. There were still at least two sites that would not do any thing about logging out. Rather frustrated, I closed and reopened Fx and returned to those sites, where I found that I was logged out.

I am sure that I have failed to delineate all the steps I took to find more cookies, which I think I did, but were not easy to find, due to whatever it is that Windows 11 interposed in finding and removing them.

There are several types of cookies in out kitchen larder; they are easy to find, so after posting this, I shall treat myself to one (or more.)
jscher2000

Re: Cookie Weirdness and Windows 11

Post by jscher2000 »

I can't think of a reason for the Manage Data dialog to show different results on Windows 10 vs. Windows 11 for the same site, same settings, and same add-ons.

When you think of it in the future, could you test whether deleting the cookies from the Storage Manager works? While you're on a page on the site, press Shift+F9 to open that tool in the lower part of the tab. There will be separate lists for cookies, local storage, session storage, and indexedDB (less used), so unfortunately it's a bit more work than Manage Data but you can see in more detail what is going on. To flush out a category, right-click any item on its list and choose Delete All.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

First of all, I have yet to really figure out the new system for Trains Magazine and related material, For example, I have a UserID/password for trn.trains.com, which I used for a long time before Kalmbach created this new system. When I now try to use it, instead I get sent to a UserID/Password for http://www.trains.com, which is quite different from the Trains Magazine forums the older setup takes me to. When I am in the new system, I can (eventually) figure out how to get to the forums.

All that aside, to test the Shift-F9 suggestion, I logged on to the new setup; when I tried Shift-F9 nothing whatsoever happened; that being the case, I clicked on Log Out, which logged me out. I will not likely be back to sites such as the Trains forums until next Saturday; when I am done with that session, I am going to see what happens when I return to the first open tab, the one that logged me out this time, to see if perhaps it will log out the other sites.

Related to that, why did Shift-F9 not open the Storage Manager (whatever that is)?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

If you want to delete all the cookies for a site you are on just click the padlock in the URL bar, then "Clear cookies and site data...". You should be able to delete all cookies for the site you are on all together.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:If you want to delete all the cookies for a site you are on just click the padlock in the URL bar, then "Clear cookies and site data...". You should be able to delete all cookies for the site you are on all together.
It is at least three separate sites, although with this new system, it is possible that they are linked somehow; that is what I want to find out by leaving the master site up while visiting the other two. It is the "master site" that I found out yesterday will log me out. Perhaps, somehow, that will do the same for sites two and three.