Login mystery

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
knifeoutlet

Login mystery

Post by knifeoutlet »

I've encountered a curious issue. On one website I use daily, I am unable to login with Firefox because doing so returns me to the login page. Can't get past it. I know the problem isn't with the site because it works properly with all my other computers. I know it isn't my new computer because everything is normal if I access the site using Edge. So the problem is either with Firefox or with some glitch between Firefox and my new Acer laptop. I'm hoping somebody has heard of such a problem before and has some guidance. Thanks in advance.
DanRaisch

Re: Login mystery

Post by DanRaisch »

When viewing that site, click on the padlock icon in the location bar and select "Clear cookies and site data". Close the tab with that site and then try returning to that page.
knifeoutlet

Post by knifeoutlet »

Thanks for the response. That didn't work. However, it did bring up a message that the site wanted cookies enabled. The security option is set to standard so I set up an exception allowing everything for that site. That didn't work either. I disabled the windows defender firewall and turned off defender. I use PCmatic if that is an issue. I'll call the IT guy at the company and discuss this with him. I appreciate the effort,
knifeoutlet

Post by knifeoutlet »

Problem solved and I couldn't have done it without advice I got here. Knowing the site wanted cookies enabled and knowing that my exception didn't work, I just went through the menus and discovered a place where cookies were disabled and unchecked it. It takes two tries to get past the login routine but I can finally get through. Thanks sincerely.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

I have been having a similar problem. I use CookieAutoDelete and have whitelisted the site. I have tried using troubleshoot mode with the same result. I just stay on the login page, no error message.

Should cookie settings within FireFox preferences matter if I am in Trobleshoot mode?

I can access the site using Safari, but that is a nuisance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you also clear the cache as recommended above?
Should cookie settings within FireFox preferences matter if I am in Trobleshoot mode?
Yes, Troubleshooting Mode has no bearing on cookie settings or cookie retention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

I used CookieAutoDelete to "clean" everything associted with the domain. That included the cache and all cookies. I will try again just in case I did it wrong. For the Firefox privacy settings, I tried "standard" and also "custom" with all the boxes unchecked.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

It looks like I clicked on the wrong thing in CookieAutoDelete and did not clear my cookies and cache. This time I did it right and I can now access the site. Many thanks! :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

Unfortunately, the problem has NOT been fixed. It is back and clearing cookies and cache no longer helps. ](*,)
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

try temporarily disabling the "cookie autodelete" browser-extension to see if that is what is causing the problem.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

redwolfe_98 wrote:try temporarily disabling the "cookie autodelete" browser-extension to see if that is what is causing the problem.
I tried troubleshoot mode, which disables my add-ons. It made no difference.

It seems to me that CookieAutoDelete should make no difference, since I have whitelisted all the domains that show up when I access the site. Am I mistaken?

I also use NoScript and Privacy Badger. Those sometimes break sites if not set up right for the site, but have no effect on Troubleshoot mode. So usually when I have a problem, I try Troubleshoot and if it works (the usual case), I fiddle with my add-ons until it works with them.

Very often, when I do have a problem it is a Captcha. But that is not the case with the site in question.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

mozurkewich wrote:I tried troubleshoot mode, which disables my add-ons. It made no difference
thanks for your reply. it is good to see that you know what you are doing, like disabling addons to see if they are causing a problem.

apparently the problem lies elsewhere. maybe the problem is that you have third-party cookies blocked? or, maybe the problem is being caused by firefox's tracking-blocking?
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

redwolfe_98 wrote:thanks for your reply. it is good to see that you know what you are doing, like disabling addons to see if they are causing a problem.

apparently the problem lies elsewhere. maybe the problem is that you have third-party cookies blocked? or, maybe the problem is being caused by firefox's tracking-blocking?
Thanks. I don't actually know what I am doing, but I have learned a few things by trial and error and from people on this site.

I tried disabling all the items under Firefox's custom settings for privacy and security. No joy. I tried disabling Privacy Badger for the site. No joy. I told NoScript to allow all scripts, repeatedly until none were being blocked. No joy. And as I said before, I tried troubleshoot mode to disable my add-ons. ](*,)