The size, Firefox opens into....

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
brucepascal

The size, Firefox opens into....

Post by brucepascal »

There are three sizes Firefox can be. There is Full Screen, usually accessed with F11. There is normal size with the Toolbars shown, and the there is any smaller size you want, by leaving the normal size by clicking on the middle button on the right top.

Now, my Firefox ESR 91.3 suddenly opens in that smaller size every time. While it is not much work to click on the top right button with the mouse, I would prefer to have set back to open "normally". But I checked and could not find anything about that setting....

Please help, thank you!
DanRaisch

Re: The size, Firefox opens into....

Post by DanRaisch »

I would prefer to have set back to open "normally"
What do you mean by "normally"? Which size would that be? Firefox should open in whatever size it was when it was closed.
Are you shutting off the computer without closing down Firefox? Are you closing the program by menu path File->Exit.
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

What would you consider normal? Other than: the open page covers the whole display?
Well, when I open a shrunk version of Ff which only covers about half the display- When you click the middle on, of the three small squares in the top right corner, you get, what I always get, when opening Firefox
On the top right there are three little boxes, right? The middle one changes the page from "normal" to smaller, or, when small, it then changes the page back to normal.
Which is what I have to do every time I open Ff. I want it to open the big version of the page, as it has always done even when it was still called Netscape.... until it stopped doing that about two weeks ago.
It does NOT make any difference how I close Ff. I can use the little red box in the top right corner, or the File Menu > Exit. The next time I open Ff, it will again only open the small window and I have to click the second button from the right to get a normal size window of Firefox

Some setting must have changed and saved itself...
morat

Post by morat »

You may have a corrupt xulstore.json file.

Changes to toolbars and window sizes are not saved
http://support.mozilla.org/kb/changes-t ... -not-saved
Last edited by morat on November 16th, 2021, 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

n the top right there are three little boxes, right? The middle one changes the page from "normal" to smaller, or, when small, it then changes the page back to normal.
In situations such as you describe there is no "normal". Of those three screen size buttons, the leftmost shrinks the window to the task bar, the middle one shrinks or grows the window to the last user set size, while the rightmost grows the window to cover most of the screen but is not the same as "full screen." Full screen is access by pressing F11 and hides the task bar and everything except the active window.

To try to return to the way you prefer, close Firefox. Navigate to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox ) and locate and delete the file xulstore.json. Launch Firefox and set the window location and size to your preference and then exit Firefox using the File->Exit command. Launch Firefox and it should open to your selected size and location.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

If you want FF to always open in a maximized window, you can change the properties of the FF shortcut in the taskbar to do so:
right click the shortcut, click "properties" in the menu, look in "shortcut" tab where there's a dropdown box called "Run:". This
usually says "normal window", but you can click the little down-arrow and choose "maximized".
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

Thank you all for your help...
Changing the xulstore.json file did not make any difference, except chnage many other setting. So I replaced it agaian with the old file, which I had saved....

kreemweet. I found that, and saw that this offers three settings. Normal, Maximise and Minimise. But, in all three of those settings Ff will still open in what, I assume is called normal. No maximum...
What I also saw was that right above it says "Shortcut Key", set to "None" (without a drop down menu). This only means the keyboard short?
Swiftks

Post by Swiftks »

Here you go, this is the answer.... happened to me yesterday after upgrading privacy settings in about:config.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/24/firef ... ay-fix-it/
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

Swiftks wrote:Here you go, this is the answer.... happened to me yesterday after upgrading privacy settings in about:config.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/24/firef ... ay-fix-it/
Amazing, thank you, great detective work.
So the problem is basically the usual Mozilla incompetence..., always improving things and at the same time messing up something else.

I must admit, I cannot really follow the logic here... When the size of my start-up Ff window is changed to a certain non-full-size, then it will make my fingerprint even more distinct, won't it ?

(The comments on ghacks are also very intersting to read... especially that comments are all from 2019, yet the chnage on my computer started just a few weeks ago.)
therube

Post by therube »

You may have a corrupt xulstore.json file.
Thanks for that.
That seems to have (mostly) worked (in SeaMonkey).

(It was OK initially, but it did fart when I ended up with SeaMonkey eating RAM [thanks http://www.staples.com or was it http://www.officedepot.com ?], becoming hard to use, & I had to close & reopen to get things back to normal, but since then... [knock on wood].)

(If I can come across something in xulstore.json that might be triggering...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript