Have the Problems Been Fixed with the Proton Interface?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
skuddle

Have the Problems Been Fixed with the Proton Interface?

Post by skuddle »

So four months after version 89 rolled out, have all of the various problems with the Proton interface been fixed? [-o<

Is it safe to update FF from version 89 to version 94 or whatever it is today?

Or has everybody given up and learned to just live with them? #-o

Or has everybody mucked around with all of the various fixes to the application software (i.e. via UserChrome)? Or all of the above? :mrgreen:

I'm confused.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4046
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
Ashleyj

Re: Have the Problems Been Fixed with the Proton Interface?

Post by Ashleyj »

I had been sticking with version 88 (and still have it as a back-up) until this week when I decided I ought to give the update another go.

Using snippets of css code that has been posted here I now have got version 94 looking about right. It's not perfect, but I have been using it all week so I suppose I have got used to it. The last step was to create my own theme which I did yesterday.

If you do update to 94 be prepared to do a fair bit of mucking about to get it to your liking.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Yes, they have all been resolved.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

WaltS48 wrote:Yes, they have all been resolved.
That's not what Ashleyj's post indicates. That post coincides with what I've been thinking all along and I thank him (or her) for being honest.

I don't believe that the usability issues have been resolved because all I've seen are workarounds.

I think that those who have experienced the problems have either resolved themselves to the issues by changing and fiddling with the program, or by ignoring the issues completely, or by giving up and using another browser.
bob c

Post by bob c »

problems with the proton interface---depends on what you mean---FF89 to FF94--

yes I used some code in my user chrome file---but I have since FF in the 60 70's versions.

I was with Ashleyj as far as coding some things from FF88---I went to FF90--91--92--94 with very little coding having to be done or changed, because of what was already in my user file. I can provide a link to imgur, shows my FF 88 right now looks just like my FF94 does.

But I will be the 1st to say, would be nice not to have to mess with it any at all. if this is what you mean by the proton interface.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

skuddle wrote:So four months after version 89 rolled out, have all of the various problems with the Proton interface been fixed?
WaltS48 wrote:Yes, they have all been resolved.
As we are mostly discussing matters of aesthetic preference, opinions will vary. ;-)

Also, I will plug my page here: https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-s ... on-ui.html
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

skuddle wrote:That's not what Ashleyj's post indicates. That post coincides with what I've been thinking all along and I thank him (or her) for being honest.

I don't believe that the usability issues have been resolved because all I've seen are workarounds.

I think that those who have experienced the problems have either resolved themselves to the issues by changing and fiddling with the program, or by ignoring the issues completely, or by giving up and using another browser.
Indeed I don't think the issues have been resolved for those of us who like to have Firefox configured to our own taste. If you are one of those users who is perfectly happy with the 'out-of-box' look look -and behaviour- of FF94 then I suppose there are no issues to resolve.

As I said I have put together a CSS file with some of what I was already using plus snippets of code posted here since the release of version 89. It is still not perfect as there is still the odd alignment issue with the tab bar, but I can live with that.

Oh, and it's HE by the way. :D
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

jscher2000 wrote:Also, I will plug my page here: [url]https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-s ... ton-ui.htm
I appreciate your help and the link to your page! I'ma gonna needta chew on it awhile :-k

I would like to install version 94 and use a CSS file to (1) keep any changes that I make, and (2) apply those changes to the other two computers so that all three installations of FF are the same.

Can you suggest a write-up that will tell me in simple, step-by-step terms (preferably one that you wrote) how to do this? That is, how create the user.css file, where to put it, and how to "plug it into FF"?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

skuddle wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:Also, I will plug my page here: [url]https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-s ... ton-ui.htm
I appreciate your help and the link to your page! I'ma gonna needta chew on it awhile :-k

I would like to install version 94 and use a CSS file to (1) keep any changes that I make, and (2) apply those changes to the other two computers so that all three installations of FF are the same.

Can you suggest a write-up that will tell me in simple, step-by-step terms (preferably one that you wrote) how to do this? That is, how create the user.css file, where to put it, and how to "plug it into FF"?
Try clicking the "How" link on that page.

You also might want to read the "What" page.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

@WaltS48-

Those links are just what I was looking for, and I appreciate you sending them to me!
Wish me luck!