ANNOYING Embedded content blocking "feature".

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

ANNOYING Embedded content blocking "feature".

Post by slickrcbd »

I've been seeing this a lot on xenforo forums, especially when viewing older threads.
Firefox Can’t Open This Page

To protect your security, support.mozilla.org will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it. To see this page, you need to open it in a new window.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
Since this is obviously by design, is there any way to turn this annoying "feature" off?
The provided link talks about website owners, not the end user. I'm not the owner, I'm the end user and I don't care if they misconfigured it, I just want the link to work. It was a YouTube video of all things so that should be safe.

If it's selective, can I turn it off for Spacebattles, SUfficient Velocity, Questionable Qesting, and Sorcerers Place?
No, I can't ask the site owners to tweak their website, I'll instead turn the block off on my end if possible.
jscher2000

Re: ANNOYING Embedded content blocking "feature".

Post by jscher2000 »

This is caused either by the X-Frame-Options header or the newer CSP equivalent. There isn't a per-site way to bypass this. In about:config, you can turn off CSP enforcement completely, but that would expose you to increased risk of hacked sites. Probably better to use an add-on and enable/disable that when needed, or as a quick workaround, you could open the content in a new tab: right-click the error message > This Frame > Open Frame in New Tab

* Web standards: X-Frame-Options on MDN, CSP: frame-ancestors on MDN
* Possible workaround: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ns-header/ (found in search, haven't tested it myself)
slickrcbd

Re: ANNOYING Embedded content blocking "feature".

Post by slickrcbd »

jscher2000 wrote:This is caused either by the X-Frame-Options header or the newer CSP equivalent. There isn't a per-site way to bypass this. In about:config, you can turn off CSP enforcement completely, but that would expose you to increased risk of hacked sites. Probably better to use an add-on and enable/disable that when needed, or as a quick workaround, you could open the content in a new tab: right-click the error message > This Frame > Open Frame in New Tab
Could you please link the the required addon instead of just alluding to the fact that one that would solve the problem exists?
Thank you, that sounds like it would help.