plugin to use the full width of my monitor

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

plugin to use the full width of my monitor

Post by slickrcbd »

I know pages like this are "smart phone friendly", but is there any plugin to make a web page use the full width of my monitor, and also easily widen text fields?
Sites like this:
https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?fl ... transcript
drive me nuts, where even zooming keeps the text nice and narrow while there is all this wasted space on the margins.

Yes, I know it might not be a "margin" in CSS/HTML terms, it could be any number of things. I call blank space to the side of the text a "margin" because I'm a child of the 1980's and that's what it was called on printed pages, but when I made a similar request a decade ago before the switch to the new, less-capable extension format I got in trouble for semantics because I'm not a CSS/HTML programmer and didn't know the right word.

There are plenty of extensions to narrow the text, but few to widen it. I don't know what's so great about narrow text.
dickvl

Re: plugin to use the full width of my monitor

Post by dickvl »

There is no easy fix possible.
If you check the layout in the inspector then you will notice that various items are positioned absolutely via a left property and changing the layout would be a lot of work.
I assume that this is an older design from times when wide screen monitors weren't common and a fixed layout is used instead of a modern layout that adapts automatically.
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

Except that it doesn't show up good even on my old 1024x768 monitor that I have as the second monitor on my Win7 computer. It seems designed for small screens like smart phones.
therube

Post by therube »

I know pages like this are "smart phone friendly"
Probably not the case.
Simply an "old" site, poorly designed at that, so you get what you get.

Why not simply change the zoom level for that page?
Bump it up to 200% or so & be done with it.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Apart from that, you are two options that are workarounds:

1. The Print-Friendly Version.
In this case, it opens a window with only the title (Transcript...) and content displayed in a page. Still a fixed format, but you have more "worthy content" in the page.

2. The Reading Mode.
If you hover on one of the icons in the right part of the address bar (the one that vaguely looks like a document), you'll see Activate/Deactivate Reading Mode (F9).
The reading mode brings a barebone page and you are the one that decides what font is used, background and foreground colours, margin with, etc.
In this case, you get the desired effect, but I don't know how Firefox decides what is worthy of a reading... and I think photos are not included in the reading mode.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Basically, you just have to snoop around in the page code and/or .css files to pinpoint the entries that are limiting
the page content width. It's not easy.

Then you create entries in your userContent.css to override the webpage's original design.
For example, the following is an excerpt from mine (some entries may be obsolete):

/* Fix squished content on various websites */
@-moz-document domain(itinerant-air-cooled.com) {.wrap {max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(forums.linuxmint.com) {.wrap {max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(endless-sphere.com) {.wrap {max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(terrylove.com) {.pageWidth {width: 100% !important; max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(windows10forums.com) {.pageWidth {width: 100% !important; max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(superuser.com) {html.html-unpinned-leftnav body > .container {max-width: none !important; }}
@-moz-document domain(tenforums.com) {body div:first-child {max-width: none !important; }}