Password manager saving random and incorrect password

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
shsdca

Password manager saving random and incorrect password

Post by shsdca »

I have a new router. I changed the router's default password. I can continue to access the router by manually entering that new password. It's long, so this is a pain.

I've tried using Firefox's password manager to save the password, but the password that it saves is (1) not what I typed, (2) a long string of random numbers, and (3) changes each time I log in.

I've disabled autofill for everything other than passwords.

I haven't had this happen with any other site/password.

Any idea what is going on with this?

Wavlink Quantum D6
Firefox 91.3.0esr (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 Build 19043.1348
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Password manager saving random and incorrect password

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

This happens to me on some sites too. I found I had to delete all passwords related to the site. Somewhere along the way I saved multiple versions of the site's domain, and it was always pulling from the wrong old one. You have to have one somewhere that is not labeled correctly. Try to access the site by using the password manager, and then view your passwords right after. Firefox's password manager shows dates when it was created, modified, and last used. You'll probably find one that you didn't realize was saved under some other name.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Best in such cases is to create a login block exception for such websites and edit this password in Lockwise to the correct password.
This usually happens if the website modifies the password field via JavaScript before submitting the form.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... dit-logins
shsdca

Post by shsdca »

Creating a login block exception for the router and then manually creating a password entry solved the problem.