List of Topics Highlight

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
skuddle

List of Topics Highlight

Post by skuddle »

When I'm displaying the list of topics (i.e. "ANNOUNCEMENTS - TOPICS) sometimes I click on a topic that's 'way down the list. When I read the topic I invariably move the mouse, so when I hit the Back button to get back to the list of topics the highlight has moved to the mouse's last position (which could be anywhere) and I'm back at the top of the list.

Is there some way to keep the highlight on the topic after reading it and having moved the mouse while reading the topic?
Last edited by skuddle on December 2nd, 2021, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4046
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
therube

Re: List of Topics Highlight

Post by therube »

Are you talking about in this forum?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Yes, I did mean in this forum...

But after reading your reply, I checked some other websites and they too react the same as this one. After 24 years, I never noticed it.

Sorry, I should have checked it out better before starting this thread. :oops:
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

skuddle wrote:Yes, I did mean in this forum...

But after reading your reply, I checked some other websites and they too react the same as this one. After 24 years, I never noticed it.

Sorry, I should have checked it out better before starting this thread. :oops:

Open the 'topic' you want to read in a new tab...when done with that tab close it... you will most likely go back to the page it came from and be right where you left off...
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Thank you for your reply, but the solution doesn't work for me because when I open mozillazine.org, only one tab appears below the Menu bar, and a list of topics appears. A second tab never opens even when I click on a thread to read it.

Let's say that the topic list contains 5 pages of topics.

I scroll down the list to page 3 and position the cursor over the first topic that is displayed. The cursor is near the top of the page and the thread's title is highlighted. When I click the mouse button the highlighted thread opens and I read it. After I've read the thread the cursor is usually at or near the bottom of the thread.

I press the Back button to return to the topic list. The start of the topic list reappears starting at the top of page 1 and not page 3, the cursor is where I left it (at the bottom of the screen) and whatever topic happens to be under the cursor is highlighted.

And I've forgotten which topic I was reading so I have to first go to the page I was on and find where I left off so I can see the next topic.

And at no time did a 2nd tab appear.

What I would like to see is when I leave a thread the topic list will be displayed (which it is) and the thread I was reading will be highlighted (which it isn't).

If there is a way to accomplish this I would like to know about it :wink:
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When I click the mouse button the highlighted thread opens and I read it.
And there's your mistake, right there. Don't click on the link. You should be either middle clicking on the link or right clicking on the link and choosing "Open in new tab". That way the original page stays right where it was and a new tab will open with the page of the clicked on link.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I tried right-clicking on the link and choosing "Open in new tab". The highlight on the original page disappears and the new tab opens. When I close the new tab, I'm back to where I started on the original page and nothing is highlighted.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you "highlighting" a topic?
What's the URL where you are doing this?
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Hi,

Here is exactly what I do and the results of each action:

1. I open mozillazine.org. "http://forums.mozillazine.org" opens.

2. I left-click on the Firefox Support link. Page one of the list of topics (threads) appears.

3. I hover the mouse over one of the thread titles (any one, doesn't matter which). The title field turns yellow.

4. I left-click on the thread title's text. The thread opens.

5. I read the thread and then click the lower of the two buttons on the left side of the mouse with my thumb. The mouse is a Logitech wired mouse PN 810-006874 and that button is the "back" button. The thread closes and I am back to page one of the list of topics. Nothing is highlighted.

Hope this helps.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And that's because that highlighting is not truly "selecting" anything. It's just indicating which topic will be effected if further action is take, like clicking on the link. But clicking on that link takes you to a new page. Nothing done steps 1 through 4 has locked in your location on the list of topics. That's just not the way the page works.
therube

Re: [Resolved] List of Topics Highlight

Post by therube »

then click the lower of the two buttons on the left side of the mouse with my thumb ... and that button is the "back" button
If instead of using the mouse, if you click the 'Back' button in the browser itself (or Alt+back-arrow)...

Never mind.
FF does do what you say. I wonder why that happens?
(In SeaMonkey, positioning is maintained.)

That's weird.

And it appears that it is this site that causes that (in FF).
Yet not here, https://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php? ... um=2&page=.

(For some reason, FF 94.0.2 is performing abysmally on this site - in stark contrast to SeaMonkey?)

Ah, both issues are going to be Profile specific.
Both performance, & returning to the prior page work as expected in a new Profile.
(Oops, this is in FF 78.13.0. Let me see 94...)
(New 94 Profile... returning to prior page is fine. "Performance" is sub-par - compared to SeaMonkey & 78.
Ordinarily, always, when someone comments "oh this version is so much faster then the prior", I poo poo it [actually I ignore it, because it is nonsense], but in this case, SeaMonkey & 78 do run "cleaner" then 94. Maybe its a grahpics thing, don't know, but there is a difference there - at least on my end.)

(Don't know if I'll have time to figure those out, at this point.)

@scuddle, in the meantime, test this site in a new, clean Profile & see if it doesn't work as expected.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Okay. I tried using an older profile, one dated April 2021. I restarted FF and that profile has the same problem. Then I created a new, clean profile (one without any plug-ins or extensions), restarted FF and that too has the same problem.