Problem viewing site permissions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Problem viewing site permissions

Post by semigeek »

The URL bar has small icons for site security and permission info. When I click the security icon I get a drop-down window of descriptions. When I click the permission icon I get nothing... or on closer inspection, on release of the mouse button I see a small bubble very quickly appear and disappear in the top middle of the screen instead, that says in black on white "Site information for [url]" and nothing else. What could be wrong? (I tried removing all urlbar restyling from userChrome which didn't help.)
therube

Re: Problem viewing site permissions

Post by therube »

Which icon is that & how do you add a permission such that there is a "permission icon" to click?

If you restart FF in Safe Mode, is there any change?

(I must say, the 78 icons are much nicer then the bland 94 ones.
Bland, that about describes it.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
semigeek

Re: Problem viewing site permissions

Post by semigeek »

The icon in question is the second one, after the tracking security shield, just before the URL. Restarting in safe mode reminded me that it normally looks like a lock and indicates whether the connection is secure, mixed etc, though something else displays if you've granted a site permissions like popups. So now I realize that I haven't seen that lock icon for a long time! This space has been blank, and hovering/clicking on it does nothing. In Inspector I see that the element is #identity-box, containing #identity-icon which is grayed out...

...because of my userChrome! I had disabled search on the urlbar and was annoyed that a search icon was still present by default, so I got rid of it by including #identity-icon in my extensive display:none list, not realizing that it had other roles also. I've fixed it now by being more specific:
#identity-box[pageproxystate="invalid"] > #identity-icon

Problem solved.

(I haven't bought into Proton yet. I can't understand why these people keep on making everything uglier and less informative or usable.)