New tab automatically for every add-on

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BallOfFire

New tab automatically for every add-on

Post by BallOfFire »

Lately when I open Firefox, the latest installed add-ons homepages are automatically opened in new tabs.

ANy ideas?
LIMPET235

Re: New tab automatically for every add-on

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The names of those "latest installed Addons" may help a tad.

A thought... Have you checked those "LIA's" page/s for any kind of info on their behavior & if that behavior can be turned off?
Maybe ask the author/creator?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

BallOfFire wrote:Lately when I open Firefox, the latest installed add-ons homepages are automatically opened in new tabs.

ANy ideas?
That New Tab, is it just blank or does it contain some info about the addon ?
Also: your UA (User Agent) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64; rv:94.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/94.0/DIpxugZ1-09 looks a bit strange.
Any idea what DIpxugZ1-09 is about... sometimes addons add something strange to the UA. It could be triggering something.
BallOfFire

Post by BallOfFire »

The automatically tab usually says something like "Thanks for installing..." and it is not a normal page. It is generated by the extension itself. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both firefox and the extehsions; even fron fBacup (Firefoox Backup).

In the address field it says: moz-extension://b71b307a-c066-49cf-9c3c-ba6fccaa43fd/skin/firstRun.html

I tried to find something in the cofiguration - using "about:config" and then go to the page. There you can enter words like extension, browser etc. But I can not find any thing.

In OPERA I don't get these problems.

I sent a messsage to the IDM support, so I'll wait for some answer.
The "Private Badger" has a donating option, but I doubt that that will solve the problem.
Since the problem occurs in Firefox; it is there it must be stopped. I will try to see if I can find some setting to erase or change.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

A bit of feedback...
There are some extensions that will automatically open a new tab & say "Thank you for installing "my" extension, etc., etc,...."
I have 1 or 2 that do this.
No need to worry.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BallOfFire

Post by BallOfFire »

Now I have solved the issue! I use a program that changes my "Fingerprint". Thus wnen i start the browser, the extension thinks that it is the first time it is used. When I disabled that program the problem was solved.

It is a problem to have so high security, every time I log in somewhere I am recognized as another computer. Then my emailbox is full of "A new unit has logged in....". But better then risk beeing tracked: Read all about it and test your browser:

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/learn

Well, thanks anyway for your thoughs, they gave me new ideas and I found out many things!