White screen for 10-20 sec after updating from 94 to 95

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
darkred

White screen for 10-20 sec after updating from 94 to 95

Post by darkred »

Greetings

I had Firefox 94.0.2 x64 stable with Windows 11 x64.
Today I updated to v95 via running the Firefox Setup 95.0 installer .
When I launched Firefox, there was a white screen for 10-20 sec and then eventually the Firefox UI was displayed.

Note that the above white screen issue only occured during update, never on subsequent FF launches.

I am aware of bug 1336227 Show a blank window as soon as possible after start-up (pref'd off) since Fx 60, but I was wondering:
is a 10-20 sec interval until UI becoming visible ok/expected behavior?
IIRC the same occurred when I updated from 93 to 94 via (running the relevant installer).

I have Windows 11 x64
SSD m2
CPU i7 9700K
GPU MSI GTX 1660 Ti

Thank you
Last edited by darkred on December 16th, 2021, 7:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
'(Firefox for desktop) list fixed bugs in Mercurial' userscript:
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
My other userscripts: GreasyFork OpenUserJS
DanRaisch

Re: White screen for 10-20 sec after upgrading from 94 to 95

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support as no specific bug has been identified here. (Bug 1336227 was closed 4 years ago and marked as "Done".)
darkred

Post by darkred »

The reason I made this post is to find whether it also occurs to other users, so that I should file a bug in bugzilla.
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

darkred wrote:The reason I made this post is to find whether it also occurs to other users, so that I should file a bug in bugzilla.

I'm on the Nightly channel and just got upgraded to '97'' did not see any white screen, and no delay on start up following the upgrade.
darkred

Post by darkred »

Thanks for replying.
I also updated my Nightly installation from 96 to 97 via the full installer, and I also didn't have any delay on startup.
I also updated my Dev Edition from 95b12 to 96b1 via Help|About and I also didn't have any delay.
It only occurred while updating from 94 to 95 stable (and IIRC from 93 to 94 stable).
darkred

Re: White screen for 10-20 sec after updating from 94 to 95

Post by darkred »

I just updated Firefox stable from 95 to 95.0.1 via the full installer and I counted that I had white screen for 32 seconds!
darkred

Post by darkred »

The exact same delay (30+ sec) just now, updating from 95.0.1 to 95.0.2 .
Last edited by darkred on December 20th, 2021, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkred

Post by darkred »

I just updated Firefox dev edition from 96.0b6 to b7 via the full installer and I counted I had white screen for ~13 seconds.
That profile is intact, no extensions/bookmarks/history entries. nothing.
therube

Post by therube »

Test with a new, clean Profile.
If that also fails, test with a new, clean Profile in Safe Mode.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
darkred

Post by darkred »

Thanks. I've tested and there's no white screen when I launch FF 95 with a fresh profile.
Also, I updated Firefox dev edition from 96.0b7 to b8 to b9 to b10 (each upon their release) via the full installer and there's no white screen in any case. So, hopefully the issue has been fixed in one of the recent betas.
So, I'll wait for the stable 96.0 to be released to test and report back.
darkred

Post by darkred »

The same occurred today (white screen for 30 sec) as I updated 95.0.2 to 96.0 .
I filed this issue in bugzilla: 1749345 - White screen for up to 30 sec after updating Firefox using the full installer
therube

Post by therube »

I looked at your screenshot, but I saw nothing but white ;-).

Did you actually "update" (via FF's internal updater) from 95 to 96, or did you install 96 over top of 95 (& then launch FF)?
(Probably immaterial, but...)

In your STR, you backed up your Profile directory, but did not actually delete it, is that correct?
(Though you did delete whatever was in \AppData\Local\Mozilla.)

So you were in fact opening your existing Profile, not starting with a new Profile, correct?
(And you stated above, that with 95, & a new Profile, no delay.
Does that also hold true for 96, with a new Profile?)

If you go through your STR again, & instead of launching "firefox.exe", start FF into Safe Mode, so "firefox.exe -safe-mode", do you still get the delay on the first open of the (existing) Profile?

(Change your desktop shortcut to include the " -safe-mode", or run from command prompt...)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
darkred

Post by darkred »

therube wrote:I looked at your screenshot, but I saw nothing but white ;-).
I uploaded that screenshot in order to show that the (supposedly) maximized FF window had no controls at all (no title, nor Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons).

Regarding STR, I'm referring to that I gave to the bugzilla issue I submitted. So to clarify:

therube wrote:Did you actually "update" (via FF's internal updater) from 95 to 96, or did you install 96 over top of 95 (& then launch FF)?
(Probably immaterial, but...)
What I did was that I installed 96 over top of 95 (in order to update to the new version - that's what I always do with every new version, I never wait for the internal updater).
therube wrote: In your STR, you backed up your Profile directory, but did not actually delete it, is that correct?
(Though you did delete whatever was in \AppData\Local\Mozilla.)

So you were in fact opening your existing Profile, not starting with a new Profile, correct?
(And you stated above, that with 95, & a new Profile, no delay.
Does that also hold true for 96, with a new Profile?)
No, I actually deleted my profile, i.e.
I backed the content of \AppData\Roaming\Mozilla (while still having Firefox 95)
and then deleted the above directory
as well deleted \AppData\Local\Mozilla .
And then I restored the former directory from backup.
In other words, I was opening my existing profile.

In details, what I did in the STR was, (uninstalled 96,) installed 95 (don't launch FF yet), then install 96 on top of 95 and now launch it.
In other words, I opened my existing profile (from 95 right after installing-on-top 96), and I had white screen for 30+ sec at first launch.
The above occurs consistently, every single time.

If I launch either FF 95 or 96 with a new profile there's no white screen.
therube wrote: If you go through your STR again, & instead of launching "firefox.exe", start FF into Safe Mode, so "firefox.exe -safe-mode", do you still get the delay on the first open of the (existing) Profile?

(Change your desktop shortcut to include the " -safe-mode", or run from command prompt...)
Following your suggestion, if I repeat STR but first launch FF in Safe Mode (with my existing profile), then I don't have white screen at all, not on first launch (safe mode), nor on subsequent (normal) launches.
therube

Post by therube »

if I repeat STR but first launch FF in Safe Mode (with my existing profile), then I don't have white screen at all
I'd think that to be important to note in the bug.

Disable all extensions (first), then repeat the STR (in regular rather then Safe Mode).
White screen?

If so, leave extensions disabled, & disable hardware acceleration, then repeat the STR (again in regular rather then Safe Mode).
White screen?
darkred

Post by darkred »

Disabled all (16) extensions. Then repeated STR:
in regular --> white screen for 13 sec
in safe mode --> no white screen

Then I left all extensions disabled and disabled HW. Then repeated STR:
in regular --> white screen for 8 sec
in safe mode --> no white screen

So I don't think hardware acceleration has to do with the issue. I don't have any other issue in subsequent launches - only at the first launch, right after I install over the new version.