Firefox Default Theme and Color Changes??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

Firefox Default Theme and Color Changes??

Post by tpaulr »

Morning...

I updated to 96 this morning and for the life of me I can't understand what just happened...

When it rebooted after the update, a number of odd things occurred and continue to occur:

1. The background on my settings page is now black
2. The background on add-ons and themes page is now black
3. The background on my bookmarks page is now black
3. The background on all settings for my individual add-ons is now black
4. There are now highlight borders around the tab I am on
5. There is a heavy blue border around this dialogue box I am typing in on Mozillazine
6. When FF is loading, it is completely black until my homepage loads - my homepage has a very specific theme and there is no issue with that theme, nor the look and feel of how of my UI is set up, looks the same as it always has.

My FF theme didn't change, I am using the same theme for years. I removed it completely, reinstalled it, I still have the same issues thinking that maybe that was the problem.

I enabled and disabled and re-enabled the now laundry list of themes that Mozilla has included, and it's almost as if it is stuck on one of the dark themes.

I restarted my system, nothing changed - I have run FF both sandboxed (I use Sandboxie) and un-sandboxed, no difference.

I turned off all my security software, no difference. Every FF related page has a black background.

I also updated on all my laptops and another desktop - having the same problem, all FF related pages have a black background.

I am an old man with old troubled eyes, the black backgrounds are just horrible for me.

I did run the usual diagnostics, but that really can't tell you anything about this issue.

Any thoughts?? This is an unusual one for me, for sure... ](*,) ](*,)

Thank you, in advance...
ajsdad

Re: Firefox Default Theme and Color Changes??

Post by ajsdad »

You are not alone. I am having the exact same issues. I can change the theme back to the standard one but it immediately reverts to the new dark one. There is nothing wrong on our end; this is a Firefox issue where it won't save a theme selection. I would anticipate and expect a correction shortly.
morat

Post by morat »

tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Morat,

Thanks for the link, I made the changes in the second solution listed - I changed the number to a "2", but it didn't do anything, it made matters worse - my UI is all screwed up. I moved it to "0" and we'll see what happens.

I doubt the Mozilla developers even care about this - the young developers seem to prefer dark themes anyway.

This maybe my last hurrah with Firefox. This is a serious issue for me, not out of any sense of style, but because both the very light and very dark themes affect my eyes.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Possible solution: switch to the ESR? Not seeing any UI changes with the new 91.5.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I really screwed the pooch - I downgraded to 95.02 and had to create a new profile for FF to launch. It wouldn't let me launch without it. I am now back on 96...

I need to understand how to get everything back - I know I've been a user for years, I just never ran into this before.

I have identified the profile...How do I make it the default again?

Thanks...
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Found it and made it the default again.

Thanks everyone...
mkoenecke

Post by mkoenecke »

No theme changes, but my carefully set up UserChrome.css is now entirely ignored, and I have all that extra space added to my bookmarks that I never wanted in the first place. I'm afraid Firefox has just become too much work to keep usable, and will transition to either Waterfox or Pale Moon. I really don't know why the developers are doing what they are doing...
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I don't know either.

Not withstanding the issues with the themes and the background, everything was different about the look and feel of Firefox after the new version upgrade yesterday.

Again, as I type this, there is a blue border around this dialogue box that I'm typing in - why?

I may not be too far behind you in giving up Firefox - the black background everywhere is problematic for me and I can't fix it... ](*,)
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

:eyeroll2: @tpaulr
I'm with you. Pushin' 78 pretty hard now. Finally got version 95 usable. Now version 96 appears to be an entirely new thing. :eyeroll2: WTF is going on?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 125; Thunderbird 115.10
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The Firefox default theme uses the operating systems theme.

If the user is using a dark operating system theme, then Firefox will be dark, a light operating system theme and Firefox will be light.

I don't see any theme changes mentioned in the Firefox 96.0 Release Notes.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

There is one underlying dynamic to all of this - Mozilla doesn't really care if we have issues.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the next release...

Thanks everyone, as always. :D
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Walt,

I understand nothing was mentioned about themes in the Release Notes, I already checked...There is a real issue, maybe a bug, for some of us here. Users are also reporting the same behavior on the Mozilla/FF support site as well.

I use the default Windows light blue theme, I haven't changed that color since I set up my desktop years ago.

Until yesterday morning's upgrade to FF 96.0 I had no issues with a black background showing up anywhere in my browser. I have used the same FF theme for years, it is called "Classic Blue", close to the Windows light blue.

Using that theme now triggers the black background, as I mentioned at the top of this post.

If I switch to one of the lighter theme options, everything reverts to a white background with a black font. If I switch to a dark theme in FF, everything becomes black.

I have ended up with this hybrid look, it's just hit or miss as to what shows up. I clicked on a link to Twitter yesterday and the entire site had a black theme.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Setting layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override using 1 as the value worked for me. It was set on 3. [(Dark (0), light (1), system (2) or browser (3)]

Prior to this fix I had added the below to my userChrome.css file which fixed half of the problems, but not all, on its own.

Now I find that BOTH the layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override fix AND the below in my userChrome.css file are needed to fix almost all of the "dark" problems.

With both these fixes in place I can still use a theme that has white text on dark background for the menu and toolbar colors and Firefox will still be "light" everywhere else.

Code: Select all

:host, :root {
  color-scheme: light light !important;
}
Last edited by JYLD on January 14th, 2022, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1363844

I made the changes and found another theme with a white toolbar background and it now works.