Library questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Library questions

Post by semigeek »

(1) Can the age cutoff for the Last Visit date (and count) on sites in the Library be adjusted? These seem to blank/zero out somewhere around two months which is too soon for my taste.

(2) On Ctrl-Alt-B, the Library opens by default to Other Bookmarks. Can this be changed to a different folder?
therube

Re: Library questions

Post by therube »

I see 'Most Recent Visit' rather than Last Visit?
In my case, I've got some Most Recent Visits going back to 2015.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

(1) OK, thanks, it may not be a cutoff issue. I think two things are happening that I didn't expect:
* Most Recent Visit data did not carry over from my previous FF installation to this new computer; and
* MRV is zeroed out even on bookmarks when a site is deleted from History, as I periodically do -- it's not kept independently in bookmark data, which also explains why it didn't carry over.

(2) Still curious about the default folder...
morat

Post by morat »

There isn't an easy peasy way to change the default folder.

You would have to change the command for the keyboard shortcut.

Code: Select all

PlacesCommandHook.showPlacesOrganizer('UnfiledBookmarks');
Similar thread
http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... ?f=2&t=526
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Thanks. Does Custom Buttons still work? Of course I don't want an actual button. Is there no Firefox addon allowing what keyconfig used to do (or tbkeys still does in Thunderbird) anymore?
morat

Post by morat »

Those addons are obsolete. I was thinking of a userChrome.js hack.

The following code snippet works in the browser console.

Code: Select all

document.getElementById("Browser:ShowAllBookmarks").
  setAttribute("oncommand", "PlacesCommandHook.showPlacesOrganizer('BookmarksToolbar');");
Instructions:

* open about:config page
* set devtools.chrome.enabled preference to true
* open browser console i.e. tools > web developer > browser console
* copy and paste code into browser console command line
* press enter to run
* focus browser window
* press ctrl+shift+o to open library to bookmarks toolbar
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

Thanks, morat. If, like me, someone has trouble working out where to enter that code, there is an input area at the bottom of the browser console.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Of course you'd still have to set up userChrome.js (which I don't already have) to actually make that work, and this is too small a thing for me to bother doing that. But it's good to know, in case I do find another hack I really need one day.

I see they've changed the Ctrl-Shift-B shortcut itself now, how stupid! And there's a javascript hack to restore it, but I shouldn't need that because I could do it easily enough with AutoHotKey. (In fact I could probably set up a really crude hotkey for this as well, opening the Library then moving the cursor.) In any case, curiosity satisfied, thanks.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

semigeek wrote:Of course you'd still have to set up userChrome.js (which I don't already have) to actually make that work, ....
You don't need userChrome.js to make the change in the Browser Console (if that's what you are referring to).

EDIT: the change in the Browser Console does NOT survive quitting and/or rebooting (not sure which as I have done both).
dickvl

Post by dickvl »