Is there a way to save/launch url links from a PC folder?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

Re: Is there a way to save/launch url links from a PC folder

Post by c627627 »

Thank you.
Is the physical location of the Favorites folder custom-set by user?
Can one same identical Favorites folder be used by every Firefox portable installation on a PC?

In other words, even if a single PC is a multi-boot with different versions of Windows... can every Firefox Portable on one PC have its own PlainOldFavorites point to the one single same physical location? So they all add and share url links accessible through the button you made?

I notice you are using the official Firefox latest release, not Developer Edition not Nightly - which is fantastic.

You are running a 32-Bit OS!
I know for a fact that PlainOldFavorites could only run on 32-Bit Firefox and not 64-Bit Firefox back in the day.

I will try to understand and replicate what you did, by studying the other thread and your post then write complete instructions.

But I am concerned about 64-Bit...
Can your instructions work on installed version, because whereas you can install a 32-Bit Firefox, the Portable Firefox version is dual, so I don't know if Portable will force 64-Bit installation on a 64-Bit Windows thereby possibly not being compatible with PlainOldFavorites... But I will try to figure out how you did all this... thank you.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
morat

Re: Is there a way to save/launch url links from a PC folder

Post by morat »

The "Add a Favorite" and "Organize Favorites" menu items use the C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Favorites folder.

I'm using the same folder for the "Open Favorites in New Tab" and "Open Favorites in File Explorer" menu items.

I never tested if the "Favs" file path changes after changing the default location for saving Internet Explorer favorites.

Code: Select all

(function () {
  var file = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].
    getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).
    get("Favs", Components.interfaces.nsIFile);
  alert(file.path);
})();
Change the Default Location for Saving Internet Explorer Favorites
http://www.howtogeek.com/115412/