Firefox has forgotten how to go online

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Beadmaster

Firefox has forgotten how to go online

Post by Beadmaster »

Firefox can't access the internet anymore. I can use Waterfox. I'm using Waterfox at the moment.

The way it happened was this: I briefly walked away from the computer. This is not the first time this has happened. Sometimes I can be away from the computer for hours. I return, type in a URL or click on a favorite site or whatever, download a file, bam, it works just fine.

Firefox was on the screen. I went to do something and Firefox did...nothing. It just sat. No error message, just the stupid thing in the tab that looks like a dot going left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right. That kept going.

I rebooted the browser. It worked...for one lousy page.

Then it forgot it was online and did the left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right dot. That was it.

I rebooted the entire computer. Now Firefox won't bring up a single page. I can type in a URL, use one from favorites, paste from elsewhere, nothing works. Left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right.

I can't even post the Firefox version here because...it's trying to update. But it can't, because it doesn't know it's online, but it doesn't know it's not online, either. So the version number won't display.
Edit for clarity: it should be the latest version as of when it last checked. But all it displays is a spinning arrow or whatever, saying it's checking for updates. Not even the updater is working.

What's suddenly wrong with Firefox?

Thank you for your time.
rmuzzini

Re: Firefox has forgotten how to go online

Post by rmuzzini »

hi.
same here, with firefox v96
you can resolve this way:
- empty the cache
- clear your history (i deleted just "today"
- download (using chrome…) latest beta v97b2

it worked for me.

maybe a problem with the update channel? i noticed v96 stucked on searching for update.

regards
rmuzzini

Post by rmuzzini »

in the meantime an info was posted:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3085769

mozilla is aware of the problem

regards
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

Wow, thank you so much! I thought it was just my computer/Firefox since it had been working fine all day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

Okay, just unchecking the box for Firefox data collection did it. I can't thank you enough!
rmuzzini

Post by rmuzzini »

Beadmaster wrote:Okay, just unchecking the box for Firefox data collection did it. I can't thank you enough!
you're welcome.
:-)
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

:)

One other interesting thing. I'm temporarily on a laptop computer and after reboot it wouldn't stop chugging away. The fan was on (usually when there's heavy usage that happens). Once the box was unchecked and Firefox was rebooted, it went back to being very quiet. So I don't know enough about this to authoritatively say what the cause was, but it seems the Firefox problem was taxing the computer very heavily.
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

Beadmaster wrote:Okay, just unchecking the box for Firefox data collection did it. I can't thank you enough!
You can now try re-enabling Firefox Data Collection.
The root cause may be HTTP3 which Mozilla's servers were using. It is now disabled on the server side.

Disable HTTP3 instead, only if the issue persists.
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

Thank you very much! For now I don't mind leaving it off, as I'm currently in the middle of several work-related things and would rather not chance losing connection. But I'm bookmarking this for when my work is done. :)