Since >v89 Restore session doesnt restore form parameters

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
paramecie

Since >v89 Restore session doesnt restore form parameters

Post by paramecie »

Hello!

Since Sep 2021 approx, I noticed our Firefox (on 4+ machines) do NOT correctly restore sessions.
In short: the windows, tabs and pages are opened, but all POST / Form parameters are simply forgotten.

This is especially annoying for us.
We work with multiple node.js servers on our local pages (with no problems for years).
But when you've 20 tabs opened with parameters in each and they're all forgotten, you've to re-enter them all every day or even more :-(

We've got annoyed more and more until I finally tried and successfully diagnosed.
With versions 90.9 up to beta 97, the sessions are NOT properly restored.

I downgraded (using MOZ_ALLOW_DOWNGRADE to 1 and the Registry "DisableAppUpdate") to version 89 and it works as before, perfectly!
Version 89 is dated June 2021: the date corresponds to what we used last Summer.

After downgrade, right now on a few machines, 89 is working perfectly.
At the contrary, the later versions (at least since 90.9 and some further up to beta 97) do NOT restore the POST / Forms parameters.

More details: v 89.0 (64 bits) Windows 7 Pro.

My questions would be:

* Did other people get / notice this behavior? Is that intentional (aka "a feature")?

* More important: as for security reasons I'd prefer an up-to-date Browser, is there a configuration setting to change the current behavior on the recent versions, like 96 ?

* Is there somewhere a Jira or a bug place I should signal this?

Thank you.
PS: a Firefox fan for 15+ years here (yes yes), it's our main and primary browser for everything except RARE cases, like debugging - so, thank you the Moz Community/Devs for what you've achieved!
xanthon

Re: Since >v89 Restore session doesnt restore form parameter

Post by xanthon »

Perhaps some relevant preference(s) was(were) changed. You can file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

Oh OK - thanks for the link.
Hoping somebody else noticed and will tell here.
I'll post the report link here when done.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I think there are two potential places that form field content might be stored:

(1) State data stored in the session history file

You can check that this preference has its default value: browser.sessionstore.privacy_level

(2) State data stored in the web cache used to redisplay the tab contents when restored (assuming the site does not bar caching)
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

Thank you!

browser.sessionstore.privacy_level = 0 on this FF 89.0

I don't know about later version I've problem with (first one I'm sure is 90.9)

State data I'm not sure, but right now I've my 9 windows and 300 tabs opened with zero problem with FF 89.0, that I can close or reopen as much as I wish (twice a day...), and all the Forms parameters are restored well, all the Post pages are displayed correctly.

Same configuration I tried with later versions, but in this case it doesn't work.

I tried on a "fresh" computer here, I removed all the session jz4 something files, and the backup directory, so it restarts with brand new session data - same problem on a single tab/page with versions > 89...

HTH?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using "Clear history when Firefox closes" or "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" (Settings -> Privacy & Security) ?

In case of the latter you can try to create a cookie allow exception as this affects storage as well.
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

Thank you dickvl - no I don't have any automatic cookie clearance.
I use a straightforward configuration with "less" privacy : we're an online shop, and I need many sites to be always "connected" to - hence the 300 opened tabs.

I will try to make some more diagnostic tests on one of the PCs here later on today...
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

I searched yesterday, and found this about POSTDATA:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423800

"Right, we fall back on GET when no POSTDATA was saved, which never happens per default (browser.sessionstore.postdata defaults to 0) and shouldn't happen on SSL secured pages, at all (unless browser.sessionstore.privacy_level is changed to 0)"

And here, browser.sessionstore.privacy_level = 0

Not sure why.
I'll test this weekend on the few PCs here.
But then, why does it work 100% including up to v 89, but not on the later versions...?

I'll test all this and will post here. Please have a good one!
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

Hey - sorry was far too busy to try anything...

Fixed!
I've found it corresponded to:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=910611

Which I noticed was fixed 2 months ago:
Closed: 2 months ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE

Duplicate:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423800

I just tried the update today, and now it works like a charm, (as before, in version 89) - latest version 100.0.1

Just FYI - stay safe!