Mailto missing from Applications list

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pschroeter

Mailto missing from Applications list

Post by pschroeter »

The Mailto handler is missing in my list of Applications under: Preferences > General > Files and Applications.
I’ve fixed it for know by changing the default Windows 10 email program. But I share this computer and I know there used to be, and should be, a Mailto handler in that list. I know at one time I was able to tell Firefox to open email links in Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Re: Mailto missing from Applications list

Post by DanRaisch »

And that is the way to tell Firefox to open email links in Thunderbird: by setting Thunderbird as the default mail handler for Windows.
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

DanRaisch wrote:And that is the way to tell Firefox to open email links in Thunderbird: by setting Thunderbird as the default mail handler for Windows.
Yes that solves the problem in a way,, but the mailto handler should still be in the Applications list in case I want to change it to something else. I remember it being there in the past.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

It appears in Firefox 101.0b3.

Last edited by BruceAWittmeier on May 6th, 2022, 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

[quote="BruceAWittmeier"]It appears in Firefox 101.0b3.
But it's NOT listed in mine. In fact according to your example I'm also missing a bunch of other file types. I only have five in the list.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As I understand it, Firefox doesn't deliver that list populated on installation. It seems to read it from the Windows registry and add to it as the user indicates what applications to use with different files types:
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

after reading the "OP," the "original post," i looked for a way to reset the "applications" list and found this article:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... -open-file

there was something in my "applications" list that i didn't like being there, so i followed the instructions to reset the "applications" list.

i think the "applications" list was reset on pschroeter's computer and that is why they are not seeing the "mailto" handler in the list.

here is the way "applications" looks on my computer, after having reset it:

find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

redwolfe_98 wrote:after reading the "OP," the "original post," i looked for a way to reset the "applications" list and found this article:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... -open-file

there was something in my "applications" list that i didn't like being there, so i followed the instructions to reset the "applications" list.

i think the "applications" list was reset on pschroeter's computer and that is why they are not seeing the "mailto" handler in the list.

here is the way "applications" looks on my computer, after having reset it:

Oddly enough, I have only those exact same five file handlers listed in my Application list also. Only some of default external programs I have set for them is different. Since you got them after a reset I wonder if it is supposed to look like that somehow. I know mailto existed at one time.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

I still have it so I haven't had to grapple with the answer linked below. It may help you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1351231
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I don't know why mailto is missing for some people. It could be that a flag is set in about:config after the initial handlers.json is generated, and so when handlers.json is re-created from scratch, Firefox skips it. That just a WAG; I haven't dug into it in detail.

As a workaround, I shared a handlers.json file on my website for anyone who needs it:

https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/legacy-handlers.zip

It's from a slightly older test profile when Mozilla was still including a Yahoo! mail handler.