Can't access bank account

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bruce L.

Can't access bank account

Post by Bruce L. »

I changed nothing, but suddenly I have to go through the email/text verification to access my bank account through FF. My iPhone does not have this problem.

I called the bank and they said my browser was causing it. I would like to get FF back to where it was. I looked through the security section on FF but don't see anything obvious. What changed?
TheVisitor

Re: Can't access bank account

Post by TheVisitor »

Are you using Private mode ? I always use Private for any banking, and it prompts for the email/text verification.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

I don't know, it's been working fine for years and all of a sudden it needs the two step which I don't want.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Let me say this about that.

I have Linux OS's that have updates virtually every day.

If the kernel changes or FF is updated then it's new authentication time.

My bank, BOA, can see those changes on each system I use and will then require new authentication.

You can see an example at the bottom of each post here.

Or, in the final analysis, it's their system you are using, so you will comply.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Clear your cookies and cache for the bank site. Click on the pad-lock in the URL bar, click 'clear cookies and site data' , Then try again.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

TheVisitor wrote:Clear your cookies and cache for the bank site. Click on the pad-lock in the URL bar, click 'clear cookies and site data' , Then try again.
Hmm, I should have thought of that, thanks.

I tried it, signed in, closed and reopened FF, tried to sign in again but it's still asking for the double check. :(
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Here is an excellent arcticle to help you all understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_fingerprint

Whatever 'fingerprint' your computer presented at your last accepted sign-in is what the bank is looking for.

What the site looks at and accepts is up to them.

I know from experience and using NoScript that BOA, Amex, SS, VA, and many others, that they all differ as far as who is looking at what. But this scripting is not what BOA, as an example, is using for true authentication.

Look again at the basic information at the bottom of each post. This is a portion of your fingerprint along with your IP address. It has nothing to do with something as fleeting as cookies.

In fact BOA has taken it up a notch recently. Two factor+password+ATM password.

It's for your protection folks and takes less than a minute for me since my fingerprint changes about twice a month.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

gdot179 wrote:Here is an excellent arcticle to help you all understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_fingerprint

Whatever 'fingerprint' your computer presented at your last accepted sign-in is what the bank is looking for.

What the site looks at and accepts is up to them.

I know from experience and using NoScript that BOA, Amex, SS, VA, and many others, that they all differ as far as who is looking at what. But this scripting is not what BOA, as an example, is using for true authentication.

Look again at the basic information at the bottom of each post. This is a portion of your fingerprint along with your IP address. It has nothing to do with something as fleeting as cookies.

In fact BOA has taken it up a notch recently. Two factor+password+ATM password.

It's for your protection folks and takes less than a minute for me since my fingerprint changes about twice a month.
I don't want to become a geek just so I can easily check my bank account. It worked great for years, then suddenly stopped. I called the bank and they said it was my browser so here I am, looking for answers. Somebody changed something, and it wasn't me.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

It worked great for years
There is no way your 'fingerprint' hasn't changed substantially over those years.

Even if you believe it hasn't, the bank can change their rules at any time for your security benefit.

There must be billions of geeks on the planet, including my 85 year old self, since we all have successfully dealt with 2 factor authentication as it has evolved.

I know you can do it!
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

gdot179 wrote:
It worked great for years
There is no way your 'fingerprint' hasn't changed substantially over those years.

I never said it didn't.
Even if you believe it hasn't, the bank can change their rules at any time for your security benefit.

Of course, but then why did they lie to me about it? They said it was my browser, that's why I'm here.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

They said it was my browser
Then that is what they are looking at.

Did you not read the Wiki Iink article?

They are not saying that FF has a problem. Some aspect of it that they looked at the last login has changed.

Have you not updated FF and now it presents, at the very least, a different version from your last successful authentication?

Of course in the back of our collective minds is the old IT standard response; "We have no idea what's going on so blame it on the browser".

OK, I'm done here.

I assume you are younger than me so if the elderly guy can do it, so can you.
therube

Post by therube »

my bank
Has a name, I presume?
signed in, closed and reopened FF, tried to sign in again but it's still asking for the double check
Do you have some sort of "2 factor" (not that I know what that means) setting enabled - with the bank itself?
I called the bank and they said it was my browser
Sure what not. Blame the browser instead of providing actual support.
Next they'll blame you (for having the gall to have an account with them).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Usually a token indicating that you satisfied 2FA is saved in a cookie.

So the #1 question is whether you, an add-on, or an external program are clearing the bank's cookies between visits.

If the cookie is still there but re-authentication is required, this might be caused by a change to your IP address if you are not on a stable IP. (Requiring an IP address match helps defend against stolen cookie attacks.) Back in the day, using "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" could cause that issue; I suggest using "No proxy" unless you need to use a proxy server. On the Settings page, enter proxy into the tiny search box to filter down to the Network Settings button.