Moving logins & passwords from FF70 to FF91

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
videobruce

Moving logins & passwords from FF70 to FF91

Post by videobruce »

The only thing I managed to move was my bookmarks in the never ending steps to upgrade the version due to 'breaking' things that weren't broke (or at least worked fine the way they were).

I see the key3db file is history replacing it with a key4.db Renaming the old file didn't work. I C&P the cookies.sqlite & logins.json files, but no logins show on any site that I normally visit. Where/where has to be changed and/or moved to fix this?
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
lenny2

Re: Moving logins & passwords from FF70 to FF91

Post by lenny2 »

Try this. Delete key4.db in new profile, copy key3.db and logins.json from old profile to new profile. Run FF91, it will generate new key4.db file and write passwords from key3.db file into it. Now key3.db can be deleted.
Ad
Another solution is to synchronize via your Firefox account.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

It didn't seem to work. Another key4.db was created, but that was about it.

Apparently, older version use to use key3.db, not key4.db I didn't realize this until now. I copied key4.db and all now appears ok.
Last edited by videobruce on June 12th, 2022, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox 58 and newer use key4.db (SQLite) for the key file and no longer use key3.db (DBM), but can use key3.db as a fallback when key4.db is missing.
Support for key3.db ended with Firefox 73 and newer (i.e. Firefox 72.0.2 is the last version that supported key3.db) and thus 73+ versions can't be used to migrate logins.json and key3.db to key4.db.

If the old Firefox 70 profile has a key4.db file then copying logins.json and key4.db to a recent Firefox profile should work.
You can possibly temporarily set signon.debug = true on the about:config page to check for issues.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

dickvl wrote:If the old Firefox 70 profile has a key4.db file then copying logins.json and key4.db to a recent Firefox profile should work.
Yes it does and yes it worked.