change default for new bookmark?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

change default for new bookmark?

Post by danll »

When I "Bookmark this Page", my Firefox ALWAYS puts the link in the folder "Other Bookmarks", which is frankly inconvenient. It always does this. How can I change the default so it automatically puts it in, say, "Bookmarks Menu"? Is there some preference setting I've been unable to find?
xanthon

Re: change default for new bookmark?

Post by xanthon »

There is an extension which does that. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rk-folder/

I think you still have to disable it when backing up or restoring bookmarks.
danll

Post by danll »

Thanks, but as seem to be common for extensions, the instructions are awful. Once this extension is loaded, I sure don't understand how to set a default bookmark folder. Can you illuminate? The New Bookmark pane looks exactly the same, and the Bookmark pulldown doesn't have any new options. No obvious way to set a default bookmark folder.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I've never used this extension but reading the instructions & viewing the images?....You can set the Default folder from the "Folder" drop down.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

on my computer, it seems that the "default" folder for new bookmarks is whichever folder i last used. however, i always make it a point to select the folder that i want a bookmark to be saved to, just to make sure that everything stays properly organized.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
danll

Post by danll »

I'm using a Mac, and on my Firefox, with the Add-On installed, there is no Folder drop down that I can see. Really unclear how to use that Add-On. Also, frustratingly, the default folder is NOT the folder I last chose for new bookmarks. Sure wish it was. That's the way it should be.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

Go to Add-ons and Themes, click the 3 dots alongside the extension's name and select Preferences.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

danll...

If none of the suggestions work, try contacting/asking the author about the issues.

Github link > https://github.com/teddy-gustiaux/defau ... der/issues

You'll have to create an Acct. there to post a new issue.

Include this thread as a reference to what has been suggested & tried....Maybe mention you're on a Mac?
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

danll

Post by danll »

Ah yes! Thanks! I'm not sure why I didn't see the Preferences selection, but yes, that's exactly how you use it. I went there, selected Bookmarks Menu, and it works!
I should ask, does this selection depend on having the Add-On installed? That is, now that I've reset the default folder, can I remove the Add-On,and keep the default that I set?
Last edited by danll on June 21st, 2022, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

danii,
I would not recommend removing the extension.

Firefox may resort to the original default setting/s due to the code changing.

danll

Post by danll »

That's OK. Thanks for the advice. It's rather strange because on another machine I have, Monterey, upgraded from Big Sur, the default folder has always been Bookmarks Menu, and
no funny extensions were ever installed to modify that. So I'm not sure how Firefox makes up its mind about default folders. I *think" my Big Sur MBP. that I was having an issue with,
once had that as a default, but somehow it got changed.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

danii,
AFAIK..."They" decided to make the default "Other Bookmarks" for the sake of convenience & speediness for all "those"

really hard working people that just needed things to be done in a hurry.

They can always go back & do the sorting when they have time.

Yeah...sure they can. :)

Much easier just to click a drop down & select whatever folder you require per link/site etc..

danll

Post by danll »

Ah, so Firefox changed the default. That might make sense. For ME, convenience and speediness would be aided by throwing them in Bookmarks Menu.
I have no problem with other really hard working people who want otherwise, but it would make sense to just offer, as part of the app, an opportunity to select defaults.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

For the past several versions, Firefox re-uses the last folder. This is stored in about:config in browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation (which may appear to be completely gibberish when it's a subfolder).
danll

Post by danll »

Well, no wonder then. On my Monterey machine, with 101.01, it does that re-use handily, but on my old MacBookPro with Big Sur, which is stuck at 78.15.0.esr, it does not, and I needed that Add-On to get what I wanted. So that's the answer why it was doing what I wanted on the newer machine, but not on the older. Thank you. That's an important explanation.