YouTube suddenly displaying far Eastern-type Characters

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Energise

YouTube suddenly displaying far Eastern-type Characters

Post by Energise »

Running Windows 10 v 21H2 (19044.1766)
Firefox 101.0..1 (64-bit)

Last evening, I discovered YouTube had Chinese/Japanese-type characters, all of a sudden. I've Googled this but only old notations but tried to toggle language, as suggested somewhere, and now have no understanding of what language is what.

Can someone please help me out. I need this back into English, please. Also, is there a problem with YouTube on Firefox just now? I can get English YouTube on MS Edge but prefer FF, of course.

Many thanks
therube

Re: YouTube suddenly displaying far Eastern-type Characters

Post by therube »

If you restart into Safe Mode, does the same happen?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Energise

Post by Energise »

Thanks very much for your response. I've just not had a moment to get into Safe Mode yet so can't say if its happening then. Hopefully, I'll have some time tomorrow or, if not, in the following few days. Fortunately, I can access in Edge but doubt I'll have time for that anyway.

Will be back here once I've had time to try in Safe Mode, as you suggest. I didn't think to try that before posting :( LOL
Energise

Post by Energise »

Good morning guys

Well, this issue is sorted :) I looked on YouTube after booting up this morning and happened to notice the sizing was at 30%. I seemed to remember usual sizing on web pages was around 120% so I clicked on the '30%' and it all came back to the usual size. I hadn't appreciated how the reduction would make the page look a bit squished up but makes sense now ;)

So, once the fonts were more legible, I was able to go to change the language as I was able to read it better. I had managed to put it into French though, which made it easier again

Thanks very much, @therube, for being prepared to help me with this. I have no clue as to how I managed to make these changes accidentally, but another lesson learnt. Always a school day, as they say! ;) So true, eh?

Again, many thanks :)