Assigning download directory by website

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Budgie3

Assigning download directory by website

Post by Budgie3 »

For many companies, for example utility companies, I am finding that instead of sending a pdf of a monthly invoice it is necessary to log in before being able to access the data and then I must download it before I can enter the data into another system such as an accounting system.

One problem is that such downloaded files are only identifiable by the long anonymous file name and only by opening the pdf is it possible at a later date to determine the company source.

What I seek to do is have the download directory associated with the website of the company in question so that the monthly files are downloaded to a unique company specific directory. Only in this way will it be easy to find and audit the data at some future date.

Is this possible and please could somebody help me with this.
jscher2000

Re: Assigning download directory by website

Post by jscher2000 »

By default, Firefox remembers the last save directory on a per site basis. This assumes you don't use private windows or clear Site Preference/Site Setting data between downloads.

Yours doesn't do that? Or is the problem that PDF files first open in the built-in viewer, so that context is missing when you save the file?

-- Sorry, forgot to mention --

The above assumes you selected "Always ask you where to save files" on the Settings/Preferences page.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

jscher2000 wrote:By default, Firefox remembers the last save directory on a per site basis. This assumes you don't use private windows or clear Site Preference/Site Setting data between downloads.

Yours doesn't do that? Or is the problem that PDF files first open in the built-in viewer, so that context is missing when you save the file?

-- Sorry, forgot to mention --

The above assumes you selected "Always ask you where to save files" on the Settings/Preferences page.
Hi and many thanks for this as it has been a while since I tried it. As I recall I have to have the directory set up in advance and then find it but will see how I get on.
Regards,
Budge.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Unfortunately my problem is that the browser remembers the saving location from the last time it was used. This is not what I need.

I need to browser to save to the location associated with the actual website being used. This is not, usually, the last used website.

For example I receive monthly emails from sites A, B & C advising that my bill is ready for me. To view the bill I must log into the website and then, for me to be able to enter the information into my accounting application I must save it. For accounting audit purposes and to ease retrieving the invoice it is sensible to save it when viewed and for this purpose I have, storage directories for each supplier account A B & C. I wish to be able to automate the download and saving so downloads from site A go to directory for A and so forth. At present I have to navigate to the correct storage directory and it is easy to make a mistake if done by mouse each time.

The Firefox system only remembers the last storage directory which might be either A, B or C or indeed none of these.
I hope I have explained clearly but is there any way to automate what I seek?
Any ideas?
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

you can create an infinite number of folders for downloaded files to be saved in. you just have to select which folder you want a downloaded file to be saved in. i don't see why that wouldn't work for what you are wanting to do.

i also would recommend renaming the files, to show what they are without having to open them.
Last edited by redwolfe_98 on June 29th, 2022, 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

My thoughts are you should be prompted when saving and the save process provides a default name. At that time would it help to prefix the name with the business name and accept the default location? Then it would make it easier to identify and move to an appropriate folder.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Budgie3 wrote:The Firefox system only remembers the last storage directory which might be either A, B or C or indeed none of these.
Any ideas?
Either you have not enabled "Always ask you where to save files" or your Site Settings (formerly known as Site Preferences) are getting cleared frequently enough that Firefox has lost track of the last download directory for that site.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

jscher2000 wrote:
Budgie3 wrote:The Firefox system only remembers the last storage directory which might be either A, B or C or indeed none of these.
Any ideas?
Either you have not enabled "Always ask you where to save files" or your Site Settings (formerly known as Site Preferences) are getting cleared frequently enough that Firefox has lost track of the last download directory for that site.
I think the key here is "for that site" as different from last used site. I do of course get the prompt on where to save but have to navigate to the required directory for the download to be saved. I shall continue to experiment and many thanks for the help.