Configuration of Bookmarks.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
up2you2

Configuration of Bookmarks.

Post by up2you2 »

The present configuration of Bookmarks:

Both "areas" of Bookmarks are linked, deleting from one will update the other. Neither are isolated personal storage areas for selected bookmarks of the user's choosing. You can't keep/delete one bookmark in one area (Bookmarks toolbar and/or hamburger icon > Bookmarks) without the action being correspondingly reflected in the other area.

Now previously I could go to the hamburger Bookmarks, create and delete without my tool bar Bookmarks being effected.
Any chance of this happening again please?
dickvl

Re: Configuration of Bookmarks.

Post by dickvl »

Sounds that you try to remove a bookmarks that also shows in the 'recent bookmarks' list.
Such a recent bookmarks shows the result of a database query and isn't a real folder.
If you remove a bookmark then this bookmark will no longer come up in the query and vice versa if you remove the bookmark from the query list then you remove the actual bookmark, so make sure that you do not get confused.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

There is an optional Bookmarks Menu button you can add to the toolbar from the Customize panel which shows the Bookmarks Menu items and fly-out lists for Toolbar and Other. That's more useful in my opinion than

menu > Bookmarks

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bo ... he-toolbar
up2you2

Post by up2you2 »

dickvl wrote:Sounds that you try to remove a bookmarks that also shows in the 'recent bookmarks' list.
Such a recent bookmarks shows the result of a database query and isn't a real folder.
If you remove a bookmark then this bookmark will no longer come up in the query and vice versa if you remove the bookmark from the query list then you remove the actual bookmark, so make sure that you do not get confused.
Sorry I do not understand this at all, could I trouble you to re-word it please?
up2you2

Post by up2you2 »

jscher2000 wrote:There is an optional Bookmarks Menu button you can add to the toolbar from the Customize panel which shows the Bookmarks Menu items and fly-out lists for Toolbar and Other. That's more useful in my opinion than

menu > Bookmarks

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bo ... he-toolbar
I already have a Bookmarks option on my Toolbar, I don't want to use this option, rather just the hamburger option.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Just noticed my post is about the same issue.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3097131
I was hoping the hamburger menu/bookmarks was a separate list or file that could be removed when I clear cache and cookies (clean-up).
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

up2you2 wrote:The present configuration of Bookmarks:

Both "areas" of Bookmarks are linked, deleting from one will update the other. Neither are isolated personal storage areas for selected bookmarks of the user's choosing. You can't keep/delete one bookmark in one area (Bookmarks toolbar and/or hamburger icon > Bookmarks) without the action being correspondingly reflected in the other area.

Now previously I could go to the hamburger Bookmarks, create and delete without my tool bar Bookmarks being effected.
Any chance of this happening again please?
Your question is unclear. You have not explained how you have them "linked".
up2you2

Post by up2you2 »

Talking at cross purposes I think here, let me try again.

Hamburger Bookmarks, just like to add and delete without it doing anything else.
I believe this was once possible, correct or not?
If correct who can I get in touch with, to try and get this back?
BruceAWittmeier

up2you2 wrote:Talking at cross purposes I think here, let me try again.

Hamburger Bookmarks, just like to add and delete without it doing anything else.
You can delete from the Hamburger/Bookmarks by selecting a bookmark -- right click and select delete.
It will also delete from your main bookmarks lising from the Menu bar.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Any list that has a heading that contains 'recent' shows the result of a places.sqlite query.
Both the bookmarks and history have such a recent list if you access them via the "3-bar" Firefox menu button, so you only see recent items and if you remove one then the next result of this query will show.
In Firefox 96+ you can right-click a bookmark search/query result and click "Show in Folder" to locate this bookmark in the folder list.
up2you2

Post by up2you2 »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:
up2you2 wrote:Talking at cross purposes I think here, let me try again.

You can delete from the Hamburger/Bookmarks by selecting a bookmark -- right click and select delete.
This exactly what I do nor want to happen.
This is the point I am trying to make.
Hamburger/Bookmarks should only be a temporary fold.
If it has to make copies elsehere then okay, but deleting a Hamburger/Bookmark should not delete it elsewhere.

Who can I take this up with please?
BruceAWittmeier

"This is the point I am trying to make.
Hamburger/Bookmarks should only be a temporary fold."

This is the same issue I was pointing out in my link above in another thread.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Like was written before, both Bookmarks and History in the hamburger menu or the Library (bookshelf) toolbar button show a list that is the result of a query ordered down by newest and actions taken to items in the list are performed on the actual bookmark/history item.
If you want to have better control then you can use the search bar in the sidebar or the search bar in the Library or add the Bookmarks Menu button to the Navigation Toolbar, but the later shows the bookmarks in a folder list.
up2you2

Post by up2you2 »

dickvl wrote:Like was written before, both Bookmarks and History in the hamburger menu or the Library (bookshelf) toolbar button show a list that is the result of a query ordered down by newest and actions taken to items in the list are performed on the actual bookmark/history item.
If you want to have better control then you can use the search bar in the sidebar or the search bar in the Library or add the Bookmarks Menu button to the Navigation Toolbar, but the later shows the bookmarks in a folder list.
So the question is how do we change this policy?