Blank screen - weird Error Message upon reinstall

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mojo88

Blank screen - weird Error Message upon reinstall

Post by Mojo88 »

Computer is HP laptop, Windows 10, 64-bit

Last night, Microsoft updated me with a huge program I did not want, so I uninstalled it. And after that, my Firefox screen went blank. So I tried a couple of different ways to completely & meticulously reinstall the Firefox browser (which I absolutely love), and I am still getting blank screen in Firefox. Can anyone help me out here?

During each attempt at installation, I keep getting this odd 'VCRUNTIME140' error message. Here's the error message:

I can get the fresh Firefox to start, but it will immediately crash, giving me this error message directly below:

After I hit the 'Restart Firefox' button shown above, this is what I end up with every time... blank screen, and Firefox will do nothing:

Thank you VERY much for any help. I have no idea what's going on. :?
therube

Re: Blank screen - weird Error Message upon reinstall

Post by therube »

I'm thinking that if you (backup your Profile first, then) reinstall FF, all should be OK?

---

If not, then do a search here for "vcruntime140.dll" &/or "vcruntime140_1.dll".
(There should, I'm pretty sure be one or the other within the FF installation directory & if there is not, you will certainly get a "vcruntime140.dll" error message & FF will not run.
Though in your case, it would appear that "a" vcruntime140.dll is being found - but not the one that FF needs to run, successfully.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

Thanks... I have been trying to delete EVERYTHING to do with Firefox, but perhaps I am missing something for a truly clean install. Can you maybe point me to a page that tells me how to delete EVERYTHING Firefox-related, and then do a squeaky-clean reinstall?
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I did some digging around and saw this to be a somewhat common error, seemingly related to Microsoft Visual C++. I suspect something in the latest 'Windows 10 Update' that screwed me up.

Anyway, I went to this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/wi ... 9-and-2022, and I downloaded/installed this file: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Then I rebooted and all was good again! Very happy to get this fixed, very sad to see Microsoft still screwing things up with updates.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You usually run into this issue if you uninstall an application that used/registered this DLL.
In such a case its install counter is decremented and if it reaches zero then the DLL is removed what causes Firefox to fail to launch.