Firefox Permission Denied Errors in Ubuntu 22.04

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
spflanze

Firefox Permission Denied Errors in Ubuntu 22.04

Post by spflanze »

The OS is Ubuntu 22.04. This OS installation is highly customized. It has a ZFS encrypted file system, and RAID. The details, if you wish to see them, can be downloaded here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2w8mdb96 ... n.odt/file

The problem I have now is when firefox is launched from the Konsole terminal emulator there are many permission denied errors. These are pasted below. Although firefox does run, and I am able to browse the web with it, these are not errors that can be ignored. Obviously firefox does not have needed permissions. What permissions does it need? How are they normally obtained? What should be done about them?

The errors:

Code: Select all

$ firefox
2022/07/19 17:59:48.273436 cmd_run.go:1053: WARNING: cannot start document portal: Expected portal at "/run/user/1000/doc", got "/home/stephen/.cache/doc"
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/gtk-doc /usr/share/gtk-doc none bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory "/var/lib": permission denied
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/libreoffice/help /usr/share/libreoffice/help none bind,ro 0 0): cannot create directory "/usr/share/libreoffice/help": permission denied
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/xubuntu-docs /usr/share/xubuntu-docs none bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory "/var/lib": permission denied
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/1000': Permission denied
Gtk-Message: 18:00:12.253: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 18:00:12.253: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

(firefox:16099): dconf-CRITICAL **: 18:00:13.676: unable to create directory '/run/user/1000/snap.firefox/dconf': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.

(firefox:16099): dconf-WARNING **: 18:00:13.676: unable to open file '/etc/dconf/db/site': Failed to open file ?/etc/dconf/db/site?: open() failed: No such file or directory; expect degraded performance

(firefox:16099): dconf-CRITICAL **: 18:00:13.676: unable to create directory '/run/user/1000/snap.firefox/dconf': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.
Grumpus

Re: Firefox Permission Denied Errors in Ubuntu 22.04

Post by Grumpus »

You should see if there is anything, in the way of solution or explanation at the Ubuntu forums.
Frankly you might want to try and see if an installation through the regular Ubuntu repository straitens out the issues instead of Snap.
Sometimes it's a matter of plumbing, also Firefox usually requires some form of administration approval for installation either through repositories or in /Opt.
It appears the required admin level permission is not being applied somehow with both LibreOffice and Firefox.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you install Firefox in your home directory or in a location that requires root permissions?
spflanze

Post by spflanze »

That firefox installation in my new computer was included in the Ubuntu Studio installation, which was installed while logged in as root using the command:

apt install --yes ubuntustudio-desktop

This was done in step 7.2 of my installation procedure I documented, and provided a download link to.

I have not yet attempted to use LibreOffice for anything in the new computer. That installation procedure document was created in my older computer I am preparing to migrate from. A LibreOffice installation in the new computer does exist, and I know it works because I can open it. But there are many other applications such as GIMP, Krita, DigiKam, etc that were supposed to be included in Ubuntu Studio that were not installed. There are placeholder icons for these in the toolbar that all have the ? character in them. I am not able to use Discover to install any applications. I opened a thread for that here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1419672 ... ion-failed .
Last edited by spflanze on July 22nd, 2022, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you were logged in as root, probably not a good idea, you screwed up the user permissions.
You should have been logged in as user (1000) so the lower level permissions were enforced.
A simple way to see the permission function is copy a file as root and try to open i9t as user.
You should probably re-install as user for both Firefox and LibreOffice
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
spflanze

Post by spflanze »

Had I been logged in as user 1000 would the Ubuntu Studio applications, and drivers, be available to other users?
And while logged in as user 1000 would it have been necessary to use the command:
sudo apt install --yes ubuntustudio-desktop
?
Can the Ubuntu Studio installation be reversed while logged as root by using the command:
apt purge --yes ubuntustudio-desktop
?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Explain other users, are you working an established intranet?
spflanze

Post by spflanze »

Right now there is only user 1000. That does not mean there will not be more users in the future. I desire to be ready for more user accounts should I need to create them. I desire that all applications that come with Ubuntu Studio be available to all users.

It is an Intranet based on a private router. I use this intranet with my old computer to do many of the ZFS installation operations on my new computer remotely by means of SSH connection. The Ubuntu Studio installation command was also done remotely. The ZFS installation procedure I used I documented to keep track of exactly what I did, and so I could do it again. I provided a download link to that document when I opened this thread.

When I got to the point of executing the command "apt install --yes ubuntustudio-desktop:" I thought I was installing an entire Ubuntu OS, plus additional applications that come bundled with it. And so I thought this would have to be done with root privileges.

When I have the new computer working I will use the Intranet to migrate all data from my old computer to my new one.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This is for reference.
Download Synaptic (graphic user interface for Apt)
Look at the dependencies and dependents of Ubuntu Studio.
The UbuntuStudio-Desktop, to the best of my knowledge, is only the desktop and not the complete Ubuntu Studio version of Ubuntu.
You may be missing necessary various components and links, there is a large list of Ubuntu Studio specific packages
Also Konsole is usually for the KDE system unless they are using Konsole for Ubuntu Studio as well.
spflanze

Post by spflanze »

Konsole is the terminal emulator that was already installed. I am not sure it it was installed along with Ubuntu Studio, or if it was already installed in the basic Ubuntu Installation prior to that.

I already had the muon package manager installed. I used it to install synaptic. While running synaptic as root by using sudo I navigated to "Edit => Fix Broken Packages". This did not make a difference in the errors I got from firefox.

I then did the below command sequence which are based on the webpage: https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... ntu-22-04/

# Remove Firefox Snap
sudo snap remove firefox
#  Add Mozilla Team PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
# Set PPA priority
sudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences.d/mozillateamppa
# The command creates and opens empty config file in Gedit text editor.
# When it opens, add the lines below and save it:

Package: firefox*
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-mozillateam
Pin-Priority: 501

# Apply the changes:
sudo apt update
# Install firefox
sudo apt-get install firefiox
The result is a Deb installed firefox instead of the a snap installed one. The result was error "unable to open file '/etc/dconf/db/site'" errors, which did appear every few seconds in the console, not longer appears. The errors I get are now:

stephen@stephen:~$ firefox

(firefox:35825): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:21:48.136: Theme directory places/128 of theme ubuntustudio-dark has no size field

(firefox:35825): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:21:48.136: Theme directory places/scalable of theme ubuntustudio-dark has no size field

[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: opening render device path failed.

(firefox:35825): dconf-WARNING **: 14:21:48.523: unable to open file '/etc/dconf/db/site': Failed to open file ?/etc/dconf/db/site?: open() failed: No such file or directory; expect degraded performance
Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.jsm
Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs
[2022-07-28T21:38:46Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status
[2022-07-28T21:38:46Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status
The unable to open file '/etc/dconf/db/site' was solved by installing dconf-cli with the command sequence:

sudo apt install dconf-cli
sudo dconf update
The '[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed' error was fixed by installing the drivers for the installed graphics card.

The remaining messages are due to friefox bugs that were thought to be fixed but evidently not.

This is a known bug in firefox:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1773869
that they thought was fixed, but is back in Ubuntu 22.04

ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status
# Also a known bug in firefox:
# https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus ... ssues/5879
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This link may help with the .jsm and ,mjs errors. Jsm and MJS
There is also a link for the guide Guide
It's troubling you had to install a PPA for the Ubuntu team instead of a simple install from Synaptic.
Also Muon is software center for KDE, sometimes crossing operating systems causes issues and unwanted support software which interferes with the plumbing. KDE seems to be less cross system friendly these days where is was much friendlier a decade ago.