Problem with FF & link in my Bank Acc.-long

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bob c

Problem with FF & link in my Bank Acc.-long

Post by bob c »

running win 7X64 FF102.0.1

I have a problem with a link inside one of my bank's account. problem with you helping me is you can't see it, you would have to log into my account. but once into my account, if I click on the link to see another aspect of my account, I get (I'm sure a lot of people have had this happen) a revolving door, to go to that link, it logs me out, and I have to log back in (for security I guess)--and then again if I click it, etc. etc..forever. to never get there, I have to go to many different links (round about) backdoor in the site to see the info. Infuriating.

Working with bank IT--they can't figure it out for firefox, and suggest another browser as a comparison, which I don't have. So at the public library , I open Chrome, go to my bank site, to the link, and the link I need to see. It takes me there. OK what is FF not doing. everything else in my bank site works with FF except this link, and yet chrome opens it.

Back Home, I open FF and the link is still a no go..I put FF in SAFE mode. go to the bank site, enter my account, click on the link and FF immediately freeze up. Nothing..I have to task bar to task manager and shut the program down. Several tries, and FF freezes every time in safe mode. Back in FF in normal mode, I get the revolving door log out to sign in again clicking on the link.

I know this is long--any thoughts.
jscher2000

Re: Problem with FF & link in my Bank Acc.-long

Post by jscher2000 »

Try turning off Tracking Protection for the site by clicking the shield icon left of the lock and then the slider switch. This also relaxes Total Cookie Protection for the site. If you notice different server names while using your bank, you may need to do this on both servers.

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/total-co ... protection
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

bob c wrote: problem with you helping me is you can't see it, you would have to log into my account.
Not true. All you have to do is right-click the link, select "Copy Link Location", then paste it into a post here.

I've never heard of a Windows 7 install that didn't have Internet Explorer in it.
bob c

Post by bob c »

Not true. All you have to do is right-click the link, select "Copy Link Location", then paste it into a post here.
Re-read what I wrote--the link I'm talking about is inside my account---I'm not letting you log into my account & if I did post the link here--it would take you inside of my account to see details of my account

I've never heard of a Windows 7 install that didn't have Internet Explorer in it.[/quote]
It does--I don't use it, and it is not setup to be used--it is non-functional
Last edited by bob c on August 4th, 2022, 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
bob c

Post by bob c »

jscher2000

yes I already had done that with it on, off--cookies on--off, everything you can think of. I have a trouble ticket in right now with the Banks IT trouble shooting people, as another problem has come along with the I'm talking about.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

bob c wrote: ... the link I'm talking about is inside my account---I'm not letting you log into my account & if I did post the link here--it would take you inside of my account to see details of my account
A link is just a string of text. It's not "inside" your account, or anywhere else. If someone else can get into your account just by using that bit of text, then your bank is totally incompetent and you'd be well advised to dump them immediately.

Your symptoms do suggest that something is blocking essential elements of the web request made when you click that troublesome link, such as session cookies established when you log in to your bank account.
Firefox has a way to log in great detail all the network events that take place when you make a web request, available from the menu selections Tools > Web Developer > Network; I'm sure Chrome has something similar. You could use those to compare, and see what's missing when FF's request fails.

You might also make a new user profile in FF, leave it bone-stock, and try your luck with the problem link. If it works, that would indicate the problem is due to some setting in your original FF profile. Using
FF in Safe Mode does not change any preferences/setting you (or an extension) made beforehand. Firefox has hundreds and hundreds of obscure settings most users know nothing about, that can be found
on the "about:config" internal webpage.
bob c

Post by bob c »

kreemoweet wrote:
bob c wrote: ... the link I'm talking about is inside my account---I'm not letting you log into my account & if I did post the link here--it would take you inside of my account to see details of my account
A link is just a string of text. It's not "inside" your account, or anywhere else. If someone else can get into your account just by using that bit of text, then your bank is totally incompetent and you'd be well advised to dump them immediately.

I don't even know how to respond to that... Can you not read--you have to be logged into my account to see it--the link, that I click on does not take me outside of my account, it takes me to another part of my SECURE account that is still inside my SECURE account. If I posted it (the link) out here, you would not get anywhere, you would be staring at an error, unless you could hack Citi's security and get into my account. Got it.
therube

Post by therube »

Obviously this bank has no name.
An not one other FF user has ever frequented it.
Good thing, actually, cause otherwise they too would run into issues.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bob c

Post by bob c »

[quote="therube"]Obviously this bank has no name.

You can't read either--last line of my last post--Citi as in Citi Bank--has one of the best cash back programs around.2% no matter what you spend it on--don't have to worry about what you spend it on.

An not one other FF user has ever frequented it.

And you know that how. LOL

Good thing, actually, cause otherwise they too would run into issues.

Yes I'm sure your right, not one person who uses FF, has never experienced a problem with their bank--never. LOL

Give me a break!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

bob c wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:Try turning off Tracking Protection for the site by clicking the shield icon left of the lock and then the slider switch. This also relaxes Total Cookie Protection for the site. If you notice different server names while using your bank, you may need to do this on both servers.

yes I already had done that with it on, off--cookies on--off, everything you can think of. I have a trouble ticket in right now with the Banks IT trouble shooting people, as another problem has come along with the I'm talking about.
Since you are cycling between sites, you may not be able to turn off tracking protection quickly enough on every server. Try reducing the cookie protection level:

Settings > Privacy & Security

Enhanced Tracking Protection > change from Standard to Custom

Change your cookie blocking from "Cross-site tracking cookies, and isolate other cross-site cookies" to "Cross-site tracking cookies"
bob c

Post by bob c »

jscher2000 wrote:
bob c wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:Try turning off Tracking Protection for the site by clicking the shield icon left of the lock and then the slider switch. This also relaxes Total Cookie Protection for the site. If you notice different server names while using your bank, you may need to do this on both servers.

Since you are cycling between sites, you may not be able to turn off tracking protection quickly enough on every server. Try reducing the cookie protection level:

Settings > Privacy & Security

Enhanced Tracking Protection > change from Standard to Custom

Change your cookie blocking from "Cross-site tracking cookies, and isolate other cross-site cookies" to "Cross-site tracking cookies"

jscher2000

thanks for your time--I tried your other suggestion already, and between then and now, have been on the phone with Citi's IT web tech help--and have the problem fixed. Thanks. 2 software's conflicting with each other.