Locking UP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
borgward

Locking UP

Post by borgward »

FF 103.0.1. Linuxmint 20.3 Cinnamon. FF locks up when searching. Memory use and CPU use are low. Nothing else on the computer is locked up. This has happened several times in the last 3 days.
DanRaisch

Re: Locking UP

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing happen if you launch the application in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using Firefox from the Mozilla server or Firefox from the Linux repositories?
borgward

Post by borgward »

Mozilla Firefox for Linux MInt mint-0001 - 1.0 from the Linux repositories. That behavior has not reoccurred yet. Will try troubleshoot mode if it does.
Agozer

Post by Agozer »

Just to note that I've been experiencing this as well on Windows 10 with Firefox 103.0.1. Firefox just locks up completely, and the Firefox processes have to be terminated from Task Manager. After this, Firefox works just fine as if nothing happened, even restoring the previous session.

This problem seems to have started after Firefox 102 update. The freezing seems to be very random and intermittent. I suspect hardware acceleration might be the culprit, but I can't say for sure.
b4ckerCrazyMit

Post by b4ckerCrazyMit »

Agozer wrote:Just to note that I've been experiencing this as well on Windows 10 with Firefox 103.0.1. Firefox just locks up completely, and the Firefox processes have to be terminated from Task Manager. After this, Firefox works just fine as if nothing happened, even restoring the previous session.

This problem seems to have started after Firefox 102 update. The freezing seems to be very random and intermittent. I suspect hardware acceleration might be the culprit, but I can't say for sure.

Do you use any userChrome.css? Sometimes this could led to this problem. Especially when the UI is missing by userChrome.css rules.
Agozer

Post by Agozer »

b4ckerCrazyMit wrote:
Agozer wrote:Just to note that I've been experiencing this as well on Windows 10 with Firefox 103.0.1. Firefox just locks up completely, and the Firefox processes have to be terminated from Task Manager. After this, Firefox works just fine as if nothing happened, even restoring the previous session.

Do you use any userChrome.css? Sometimes this could led to this problem. Especially when the UI is missing by userChrome.css rules.
No, I don't. Not to my knowledge, anyways.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Having the same issue, as well, it's happening with more frequency after 102.xx.

Gone through all the standard diagnostics, including a clean profile, still going on.

I tried to understand the event that might trigger this - a specific site, an open tab(s) for some period of time, new add-on update - but I can't recreate it, it's just random.

](*,)
borgward

Post by borgward »

Has not happened again since I made the original post.
Agozer

Post by Agozer »

borgward wrote:Has not happened again since I made the original post.
Hasn't happened to me either since my last post. Very random, it seemingly happens for no good, discernable reason.