Does Firefox require me to see search suggestions?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Does Firefox require me to see search suggestions?

Post by Odin2 »

I'd like to lose the search suggestions below my search bar, if for no other reason than that those make impractical my using the keyboard to choose my search provider. At about:preferences, "provide search suggestions" is unchecked, but (very strangely) below that option, "Show search suggestions above browsing history" is checked, and I can't remove that check mark.

(Even though I don't use the address bar for search, I have to leave checked "Use the address bar for search and navigation," to accommodate my preferred layout.)

Is there any workaround?
Last edited by Odin2 on August 9th, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Re: Does Firefox require me to see search suggestions?

Post by Grumpus »

Re-check Provide Search Suggestions and uncheck the options in the list you don't want, after re-check "Provide . . . "
You can also go into about:config search for "Suggest" and look at the settings.
If you want no suggestions several of the items can be edited or toggled.
Keep note for what you do.
There is a difference between quick suggest and history items, be careful.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Many thanks, Grumpus, but it seems your instructions won't help.

First, I did as you said in your first sentence, and the unwanted suggestions remained.

Second, I examined all the about:config entries containing "suggest." There are only two such that do not apply to "urlbar." My current issue, as you know, does not involve the URL bar (which I don't use for search). Regardless, I have made sure all those entries reflect my preference for no suggestions. The unwanted suggestions nevertheless remain.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Back to the refrain: How is it in safe mode?
Do you have any "site" based search engines installed?
Some sites have a separate search which links to the sites and is placed in the drop down of the browser.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Odin2,

Not really sure but try...

Open a new, blank tab.
Type or copy 'n' paste "about:config" in the address bar and press the Enter key.
Accept the silly risk.

Type "urlbar" into the Search box at the top. (NOTE: NO quotes anywhere.)

Right click the "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" preference
& you can MODIFY it to suit your needs.
The default is 10....so select 0 (zero) to remove all & click OK.
The change is instant.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

What kind of suggestions are they, exactly?

The Search panel only manages dynamic matches from your default search engine. If you need to remove history, open tab, or bookmark suggestions, use the "Change settings for other address bar suggestions" link below that cluster of checkboxes.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Limpet and jscher.

Limpet, that value was already 0.
jscher2000 wrote:What kind of suggestions are they, exactly?

The Search panel only manages dynamic matches from your default search engine. If you need to remove history, open tab, or bookmark suggestions, use the "Change settings for other address bar suggestions" link below that cluster of checkboxes.
Jscher, my default search engine is Google, and the suggestions are previous Google searches. Your second paragraph doesn't seem to apply. (If I'm wrong, please tell me.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

previous Google searches

Are they suggestions with a little clock icon to the left of the query text -- search history -- or suggestions with a URL -- browsing history?
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Jscher, each suggestion follows a clock icon.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

The clock icon indicates entries from Form & Search History. To suppress them globally, you can disable Form & Search History, but there also is one specifically for the address bar. In about:config, set browser.urlbar.maxHistoricalSearchSuggestions to 0.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks again, jscher.

I've now set set browser.urlbar.maxHistoricalSearchSuggestions to 0--but (as I would have guessed) that has no effect on suggestions for the search bar. I want to keep access to my history. I can do without a specific search history, as long as I can bring those entries up as part of my history. Can I do those two things? If Yes, how?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I'm sorry, I was thinking of the address bar. For the search bar, there's no toggle for search history entries, you would need to disable Form & Search History to hide them. Or find some CSS to do it.