Large cookie sizes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
drew77

Large cookie sizes

Post by drew77 »

I noticed that some cookies take up 10 Mb of space.

Is that typical?

Can I reduce that size and still retain the ability to auto login?

Thanks.
Grumpus

Re: Large cookie sizes

Post by Grumpus »

You should not have to allow cookies to login to Mozillazine.
10 MB is extreme and should be dumped regardless of who they come from .
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

It looks like FF conflates "cookies" & "website data".
And while the actually cookie part of this "10 MB" is probably minimal, the website data is not.

From the FF end alone, I don't see where you can differentiate one from the other?
And it would seem that if you nuke one, you nuke all (& so mostly likely your auto-login too [whose state is most likely stored in a... cookie ;-)]).

Oh, there is that "Manage Exceptions" dialog.
That might help?
(Talk about a rather awkward UI. Sigh!)

There might be an extension?
Or maybe taking a physical approach of excising things from within %appdate%/Profiles/.../storage/ would suffice (without affecting cookies themselves [which are stored in cookies.sqlite]).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

You can delete individual items in the Storage Inspector. While viewing the relevant site, press Shift+F9 to open that in the developer tools.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This is likely not about cookies, but about data stored in local storage (indexedDB) as cookies have a rather low maximum size because they are send with every request.
drew77

Post by drew77 »

jscher2000 wrote:You can delete individual items in the Storage Inspector. While viewing the relevant site, press Shift+F9 to open that in the developer tools.
Google had 12.9 Mb. I did Shift F9.

I think I will just leave it alone. :-)
therube

Post by therube »

Shift+F9 looks to display both Cookies & various types of Storage.

From what I can see you can delete Indexed DB items - but it's extremely awkward, only allowing for deleting a single "item" at a time.
And an "item" is not "youtube.com", where you can nix everything "youtube" - at once, but youtube.com/YtiDBmeta, which you can delete, singularly, then you can go on to youtube.com/swpushnotifications, which you can delete, singularly, then you can go on to youtube.com/...

Leaving cookies alone & removing "storage" (from, in my case, youtube.com) dropped its "Storage" usage (per Cookie Manager) from 5 to 4.7 MB.
(So I'm not finding enough... crumbs, in this case.)
So then I clear "yt-appshell-assets", & I go again to Cookie Manager, & now it tells me yahoo is using 5.1 MB (up from 4.7 - a moment ago)?
(youtube.com was brought up - once, with JavaScript blocked, so while the "page" is there, loaded, no images, much less videos display or load at all.)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/st ... cale=en-US
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cl ... ta-firefox
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/storage
(my head is spinning & i'm not getting anywhere fast)

So I exit FF.
Then I (manually) remove the /https+++tag.idsync.analytics.yahoo.com/ (directory) - which is only 6,000 bytes.
On restart, Cookie Manager then says youtube.com is using 224 KB (vs 5.1 MB).

You tell me.
(Actually don't.)

Point is, how is anyone supposed to make sense of this morass?
(I know. They're not expected to. They're supposed to simply accept what has been given to them.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript