New Extensions Are Disabled

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tpaulr

New Extensions Are Disabled

Post by tpaulr »

Morning All...

Every time I add a new extension FF disables it when I exit...

This has been going on for about 2 years now and I have no clue how to fix this.

I've generally given up trying to add extensions because it is more than a nuisance, it deprecates the functionality of FF for me.

It's not that the extensions I want to add are suspect, in this case I wanted to add LocalCDN instead of Decentraleyes because it is going on a year since there was an update.

Why does FF disable anything new and what is the solution?

Thanks, in advance... :D
therube

Re: New Extensions Are Disabled

Post by therube »

Have you tested by creating a new, clean Profile, then adding your extensions to see if they persist there?

Check your (existing) http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox to see if anything looks untoward.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I have done all the standard diagnostics, yes.

Nothing looks untoward, I don't have any malware or viruses - I scanned for them every time this occurs, I have made sure all my security layers aren't getting in the way, etc.

The common denominator is that these are all extensions not approved by Firefox, which just irritates me to no end.

I don't consider LocalCDN to be a either a security or performance risk.

Mozilla pushes Decentraleyes, it is recommended, but it hasn't been updated in a long time. LocalCDN is a more robust alternative that is actively developed.

Is there an entry to manage this in about:config?

I looked there again, but not sure what to change.

Thanks.
therube

Post by therube »

> extensions not approved by Firefox

I was going to ask about links to said extensions - but I did not - & I should have!

In not asking, I did a search for "Decentraleyes", which found a link... on AMO, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ntraleyes/, so wouldn't it be "OK"?

Or is this some "other" Decentraleyes, or an older version of it (that is not allowed because of "spying" or "malware" or whatnot)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

@tpaulr
What antivirus software are you using. Some have been known to be a bit 'nanny' and disables extensions.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Rube: I have been using Decentraleyes for years, which is recommended by Mozilla, but wanted a more robust and current solution.

LocalCDN is considered a much better solution because Decentraleyes has not been updated in about a year.

Visitor: I use a layered solution of Sandboxie, Voodoo Shield and Panda + a couple on-demand, have for a long time with no discernible issues. I already checked to see if they were the cause, and they are not.

Before I add extensions or even update Firefox, I run an unsandboxed version with all security turned off.

It is only non-Mozilla approved extensions where I have an issue.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Not sure what you're asking...I don't run in private browsing, but I do allow most of the extensions to run in private, including LocalCDN.

I just disallowed enabled in private windows, exited, then opened it up again, I still get the little orange triangle in the upper right that shows LocalCDN was disabled.

It won't allow me to enable this extension.