Import bookmarks from FF 56.0.1 to latest FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gtt1

Import bookmarks from FF 56.0.1 to latest FF

Post by gtt1 »

How can I import bookmarks from an older version of FF 56.0.1 to latest Firefox browser. The bookmarks are on an older computer I have tried exporting an .html file but new FF doesn't import the file. As a workaround I imported the bookmarks .html to Chrome and then importing to latest Firefox. They don't import correctly, some folders are missing items, maybe there is a maximum number per folder.

Can anyone suggest a fix.
Last edited by gtt1 on September 17th, 2022, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Import bookmarks from FF 56.0.1 to latest FF

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

There is no logical reason why the new Firefox will not import your html file but if you only want the contents of the HTML file you have to clean out your current bookmarks. Delete every one of them -- then import the HTML file for a fresh start. The HTML file import 'appends' to the existing bookmarks. This may be why you think it doesn't start fresh.

I would suggest using Windows File Manager or Explorer and renaming your old profile. Doing that should save your old bookmarks too.
Create a new Profile Directory by the name you want.
Do your reinstall and select the new Profile Directory for the profile.
Import your HTML file of bookmarks
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If an HTML backup isn't working then you may have bookmarks with weird or invalid characters in the title or URL, so maybe check where importing stops or fails and inspect the HTML file at these points.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

You can use Composer in SeaMonkey to clean up an HTML file. Just Start SM, open the HTML file, make a minor change and save it with a new name like #####SMCom.html. Then reload that file into your bookmarks. See if it is fixed.
To reload all your bookmarks from an HTML file you must delete them all from Menu > Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks & just start deleting. When empty close bookmarks, reopen bookmarks and select from the Menu > Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > import and point to the saved ###SMCom.html file.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I am 3 days late, and if it's not resolved, what FF version are you importing into? FF developers constantly study user interaction and reaction to feature changes, unless you block them. Depending on the circumstances, they might have blocked the import for some unknown reason to us. Importing an old bookmarks.html file should not matter because, AFAIK the structure hasn't changed since Netscape. I have about 2,500 bookmarks, and some users commented that the import of tens of thousands is not a problem. Chrome/Chromium and Vivaldi (based on Chromium) strip <HR>, but I don't know what else.

I would start with the simplest approach. Export your current bookmarks as html, Shut down Firefox, open the profile folder and delete the places.sqlite, On restart it recreates the missing database. Then try importing the file. The above solutions are a lot more sophisticated, and time consuming.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05