Certain sites not loading on desktop only (mobile works)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mozzied

Certain sites not loading on desktop only (mobile works)

Post by Mozzied »

I'm getting security error messages on certain sites, the most important of which is my own production site. I can load my subdomain staging site with FF, even though the primary domain site that the staging site was cloned from will not load.

I can view both with Chrome. Weird thing is that I'm not having any probs with FF mobile. FF desktop thinks there's a problem with security. I have not changed any FF settings since the time it was working.
All I've done so far is cleared all history, all boxes checked and Everything time range.. multiple times. I'm not interested in creating a new FF profile. There must be another way than starting over from scratch.

This started happening after Google domains, without my knowledge or consent, switched from my custom servers back to their defaults after I had setup a new SMTP alias through them. However, this switch did not occur until some time later, as I was able to use my sites this morning for email tests after the alias was created.

I switched the servers back to my custom ones and everything works fine except FF on desktop. I'm getting the PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR prompt.

FF desktop also would not load THIS FORUM just moments ago, hence my posting via Chrome. I was getting an error that the SSL cert is too long (exceeds max). Somehow, this has resolved itself, but my own site still won't load.
therube

Re: Certain sites not loading on desktop only (mobile works)

Post by therube »

I'm getting security error messages
Which says?
on certain sites
URLs?
FF desktop thinks there's a problem with security
Antivirus interfering, perhaps?
I'm not interested in creating a new FF profile.
You can test in a new Profile without affecting existing.
PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR
Kind of points towards SSL, VPN, proxy... ?
This started happening after Google domains, without my knowledge or consent, switched from my custom servers back to their defaults
Explain that, no familiar?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Mozzied

Post by Mozzied »

You can test in a new Profile without affecting existing.
True, and so I bothered, and it worked. It doesn't explain why the profile that I've been using all along quit working with the primary domain but not the subdomain, when they share the same SSL, and the only thing that changed was the servers being briefly misdirected. Literally NOTHING else changed regarding my site, my domain(s) or my Windoze system, at least not by my doing, from the time when FF was loading the site in question to the time that it wasn't.

And now the question is.. how do I fix my original profile so it will load that site like the fresh profile does? Where do I look for what FF changed w/o my knowledge or approval (just like Google did)?

P.S. Here's the message I just now got after submitting this reply (same error it was throwing earlier):

Code: Select all

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to forums.mozillazine.org:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
I can go to the board index manually, but it throws that error prompt when the index is called after certain ops have finished.
Mozzied

Post by Mozzied »

It's working now. I disabled privacy related add-ons, loaded the affected site, then enabled those same add-ons and the site still loads.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Were you possibly using a proxy or VPN ?

https://appuals.com/pr-end-of-file-error/
Mozzied

Post by Mozzied »

dickvl wrote:Were you possibly using a proxy or VPN ?
Nope. Merely disabling privacy/tracker add-ons — specifically, Ghostery, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and Canvas Fingerprint Defender — then reloading the site, then enabling those same add-ons worked, whereas I could not load the site any other way with that profile. One or more of those add-ons apparently made some changes after the site was successfully loaded the first time. I didn't go in and whitelist anything myself, so I dunno what happened exactly.